Could someone please help me understand a simple verlet situation?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Could someone please help me understand a simple verlet situation?

Rob(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi all,

I want to simulate a skateboard on a halfpipe, If I understand correctly, this is just a simple verlet constraint with two verlets?

How would I go about making this work?
Any tips/etc will be appreciated, thanks a lot :)

poopla(Posted 2003) [#2]
First, write a verlet integrator. :) (More like 4 verlets, 5 or 6 contraints.)

Rob(Posted 2003) [#3]
I will not need tilt, so I might be able to get away with just the two points. I suppose it's best to see where I go with the vector angles in the other thread first (vx,vy,vz)

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#4]
tru, but then it doesn't know what angle to orient the model. you need at least three. verlet integrator is simple. see the 'make my game' topic in the begginer area. Near the end, my first code example might give you a tentativ step. One proble is the usage of blitz collisions. unless you do it right, it'll look like friction even when you aren't trying to add friction. another problem is making it so that you don't go sideways. You can probably do it by multiplying the motion of the verlets by the inverse squareroot of the normal representing the player's facing. Okay, I just mayd that up bu tit might work-I would try it.