Simulated world

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Simulated world

poopla(Posted 2003) [#1]
I've written a system for most aspects of a 3d world simulation including mesh deformation. I was curious if anyone else had tried something like simulating everything realistically in an environment through blitz?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#2]
Personally I think it is always a compromise between realism and what the hardware is capable of. So for me it seems impossibl to simulate "everything" realisticly. Maybe one day it will be possible. But even then it will require lots of storage and speed. If you watch a little flower closely then you can see there are so many details in every millimeter of this world.

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#3]
Yes. The main point of optimisations of a physics system is to make it faster without compromising the accuracy. A system that "simulates everything realistically" would look very similar to one that has many optimisations and doesn't consider all the aspects of physics like heat, air movement, quantum physics, relativity, moleculer physics,fluid dynamics, relativity etc. etc. In fact you would find that a system with these extra features would run x100-x10000 slower than a standerd system with moderate features. In other words, if your going for a non-realtime simulation, the sure. go for it! otherwise, stick with the basic object-particle-constraint oriented approach.

ckob(Posted 2003) [#4]
in order to simulate everything wouldnt you need to understand how everything works?

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#5]
that to ;) but I think there are informational resources availabe on how to implement many of the systems. ofcourse, you still have to understand it.

kinda OT:
A funny thing is that if you really simulated everything to the smallest particle, your memory would have to be bigger than the thing simulated, probably many of millisons times bigger.

poopla(Posted 2003) [#6]
By this I was refering to generalised simulation, not particle physics. C'mon people :P.

Sunteam Software(Posted 2003) [#7]
What will really bake your noodle is simulating populations down to the last person. Let's just say it was something that was fun but not that much fun ;)

EDIT: of course by sim populations I'm also referring to the day to day running, interactions with each other and the player, a time frame system for actions and events in realtime with repercusions etc... etc...

MSW(Posted 2003) [#8]
generalised simulation?...smelling? tasteing? tactile senses, like how sunlight gently warms you?...not even the professional simulation developers can do all of that yet :P

SoggyP(Posted 2003) [#9]
Hi Folks,

You know, I thought it was the intention of OOP to map the world into objects and behaviour patterns. How gravity affects things, what it is to look, smell and touch. Seriously. The first abstractions I heard of when dealing with OOP was of a car and how the behaviour of a wheel could be applied in any number of cars, bikes, whatever; and then the rules governing the behaviour of the wheel would change and those changes would reflect in the behaviour of any of those things that used wheels.

It was a revelation but I don't think anyone did anything about it, really. I never did. But just imagine creating a model of the world from the behaviour of all the components that people could build, so instead of buying 3d models you would buy Abstracted World Parts(tm) that you could link together.

I like the idea.

Later,

Jes

Genexi2(Posted 2003) [#10]
Cant wait for the day where we can create massive fields of individual pieces of grass blowing in the wind....and that get crushed when you step on them......and have it run at above 15 FPS. :-/

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#11]
"Cant wait for the day where we can create massive fields of individual pieces of grass blowing in the wind....and that get crushed when you step on them......and have it run at above 15 FPS. :-/ "

no, at 150 fps, that would be amazing!
I think consoles will get there first though, pc's are so badly designed and reaching their limit.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#12]
"I've written a system for most aspects of a 3d world simulation including mesh deformation."

Nothing personal, but this is easily the most vague post I've read in a while. And later you clarify by describing your simulation as "generalized." Yeah, clear as mud.

Techlord(Posted 2003) [#13]
Simulating everything realistically in an environment through Blitz can be achieved. I'm just not certain that acceptable frame rates can be achieved realistically simultaneously.