Desperate problem

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Desperate problem

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#1]
I've got Projection Painting 95% working on Tattoo. It's all going very well except one thing.

When I reproject, the pixels are Bi/Tri linearly filtered.

Is there any way to avoid this happening? I know about texel alignment, but this won't cut it in this case, since the source and destination are different sizes, so the Texels are always unaligned.

Arghghgh.. So close....

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#2]
Sorry for being OT but what is Projection Painting? And i'm afraid i don't think you can turn this off. I hope i'm wrong tho :)

Neochrome(Posted 2003) [#3]
could be way off, but what about ClearTExtureFilters?

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#4]
That will only disable MipMapping i'm afraid :(

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#5]
* - Texture filters are already cleared.

Projection painting is a method of (usually high end) Texture Painting where the texture is painted to an imaginary pane of glass over the model. This is then projected into the texture.

Advantages:
* No Brush Distortion
* No problems with UV seams
* Compatible with other 2D drawing packages

Disadvantages:
* Not as interactive as standard painting
* Usually slow even when coded in full C/C++ Glory (Cracked that in Tattoo however!)

Need that filtering turned off though!

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#6]
That sound a very very nice feature, hope you get that problem sorted :(

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#7]
Cracked it (at least a work around). Coming soon :)

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#8]
please tell. alot of people want to turn of bi/tri linear filtering. or is it application specific?

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#9]
Not a real solution for most applications, but mostly applies to the highly specific Projection Painting technique.

In this case the problem was mainly to do with the edges. My solution was to Alpha out the edges manually but leave their colour intact. That way the colors disappear as I wanted but they do not have the same level of aliasing.

QuickSilva(Posted 2003) [#10]
Sounds very promising, can`t wait to see it in action Lee. One more thing as you were mentioning clearing texture filters above. I have noticed in several of my own apps\games that when I use the "ClearTextureFilters" command I get a drastic loss in frame rate, maybe this is whats causing my Tattoo slowdown that we were talking about the other day. Maybe you could include a toggle for it to see if it makes any notable difference to the speed. I have also noticed that this is not the case on all graphics cards only certain ones. (NVidia ones...)

Jason.

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#11]
I wouldn't have thought that disabling Mip mapping would have this negative effect in Tattoo (that's the only one I don't re-enable).

If you had a lot of meshes at varying distances then mipmapping would kick in to stop huge textures being processed for small areas. As it is, most of the work in Tattoo is close up on just a few textures at a time.

In fact the opposite is true, since mip maps need to be recalculated when textures are changed (like every frame!) there can be a hefty overhead.