Dual Shock Question

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Dual Shock Question

Almo(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi!

We're prototyping minigames for the PS2 using Blitz. So we're using Dual Shock analog sticks... but they have two sticks. How do I read the second stick?

Genexi2(Posted 2003) [#2]
I believe the second thumbstick stick was read using the Z and U-axis....

Almo(Posted 2003) [#3]
Z-axis gets left and right from the second stick, no luck with U-axis.

Any other ideas?

GfK(Posted 2003) [#4]
I believe the second thumbstick stick was read using the Z and U-axis
Thanks. Seems JoyZ() returns the up/down movement and you have to use JoyRoll() for left right.

It works, even though it doesn't make a bit of logical sense.

I wonder if my PS2 adapter is reporting a controller in its 2nd port, even though there isn't one, hence this "ghost joystick" I've got on port 3....?

Almo(Posted 2003) [#5]
Looks like it's controller-adapter dependent... My Joyroll() reports god-knows-what.

GfK(Posted 2003) [#6]
Oh dear :/

Genexi2(Posted 2003) [#7]
> even though it doesn't make a bit of logical sense.

Thats what I thought, but once I started playing Soul Reaver 2 on my PC usin my PS2->USB adapter (which broke 2 weeks after I bought it for $5), the game reacted to the right thumbstick in the same matter it did on the original system (the PS2) while there was no option for a 2nd thumbstick in the game at all!

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#8]
dual shock works great in blitz, just the second stick up/down and left/right are the wrong way around which is a pain whne you let users use it and its different to all the other pads. Gamecube, dreamcast and n64 pads work great too.

Neochrome(Posted 2003) [#9]
what language does the PS2 want? either i read this wrong, BUT your using Blitz to write a PlayStation 2 game??

I question my self with this one!

GfK(Posted 2003) [#10]
what language does the PS2 want? either i read this wrong, BUT your using Blitz to write a PlayStation 2 game??
You've read it wrong.

He's prototyping on PC's (with Blitz) - the final games will be written for PS2 (not in Blitz).

WolRon(Posted 2003) [#11]
Strange to see a big time company such as Acclaim using Blitz...

Almo(Posted 2003) [#12]
Yo sinu! How you reading the second stick? I can still only get left/right from JoyZ()!

We're using Blitz cause you can knock out a prototype minigame in 3 days or less, with very fast testing/feedback/retest turnaround times. Once the game logic is sound, then we work on the PS2/Xbox.

And Neomancer: is that an actual frame from BoogerMan?

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#13]
joyroll() will give you the second axis(up/down) on the second ps2 stick and if it doesn't for you something must be up cos i just tried it :)

Almo(Posted 2003) [#14]
Ahh! joyroll reports -180 to 180! I was expecting -1 to 1!

Cool, thanks man.

Rob(Posted 2003) [#15]
Sounds good, that prototyping stuff.

WolRon: JP & Zed Two also use blitz to prototype among others, nothing to be suprised at really - shows Blitz is pretty usable :)

Neochrome(Posted 2003) [#16]
AlmoAtAcclaim: yupp.. I drew it from a magazine on the amiga. since then this guy matches my personality a bit ;o)

Almo(Posted 2003) [#17]
Cool. Trivia question: Who did the music for BoogerMan?

Obscure hint: He also did the music for Amiga Klax and Cyt*Ron.

Almo(Posted 2010) [#18]
Answer: Matt Furniss!

big10p(Posted 2010) [#19]
I waited 6 years for that!?

Almo(Posted 2010) [#20]
Sorry if you were actually waiting. I was waiting to see if anyone would respond before giving the answer. :)

Rroff(Posted 2010) [#21]
epic bump