Coding a modelling program...

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Coding a modelling program...

elseano(Posted 2003) [#1]
Is it possible in Blitz? I downloaded treeMagik and started wondering just how hard/easy it would be...

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#2]
I'd imagine it would be hard. And since there are some pretty good ones out there for next to nothing, i wouldn't bother. I don't know if Quill3d was made in blitz or not.

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#3]
Quill3D is made in Blitz, as is CShop1-3, Worldspin, Lightbulb and gile[s] (although the last two aren't really modellers :)

So it's totally possible, but don't expect to do it in a weekend!

Rob(Posted 2003) [#4]
Blitz is cool with mesh creation stuff. Lots of useful commands.

elseano(Posted 2003) [#5]
Hmmm...probably no point anyway, actuallly...
Nevermind! ;]

MSW(Posted 2003) [#6]
actually codeing your own modeling program...although difficult...can really help speed up your game development, as you can make it do exactly what you want...procedural mesh generation, mesh deform mapping, specific UV mapping...even can generate your own spherical maps, Dot 3 maps and other things automaticly...and you don't have to shell out the big bucks for 3D Max and such, plus you can generate your own model file formats too...

elseano(Posted 2003) [#7]
Really?
I actually started a modellling program and it's coming along qiute well! How would I save the model once it is completed, though? Do you know how to code this?

JoshK(Posted 2003) [#8]
Anyone who tells you writing an editor from scratch will save you time is doing you an enormous disfavor. I wrote mine because nothing like I wanted existed, and it took something like a year and a half to finish.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#9]

How would I save the model once it is completed, though? Do you know how to code this?

There are several Export Sources in the Archives. But, hey, everybody! - wouldn't it be time for a little update of those Exporters? I mean, we need an Export Code that will use the new Texturename$() etc. Functions and save the Mesh with all surfaces/textures ?!?

elseano(Posted 2003) [#10]
thank you.

Stickman(Posted 2003) [#11]
As a sugestion
I would work with the B3D format untill you get a better grasp on 3D formats first.
The B3D formate can be very easy to set up and use for basic stuff and then again it is also a very complex format that will throught you a few speed bumps along the way.

Regardles,it will at least give you a basic idea of how most modelling formats are set up and from there you could branch of and start creating your own.