Creating Tracks like NFS 3/4

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Creating Tracks like NFS 3/4

JPD(Posted 2003) [#1]
How can I create Tracks like used in NeedForSpeed 3 or 4? Is it possible?

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#2]
I have no idea what those tracks are like... however, yes it is possible.

Anything you see geometery-wise in any game is possible in blitz as blitz will display 3d models created from a 3D modelling package.

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

What exactly is it you cannot do?

JPD(Posted 2003) [#3]
I'll try to create a similarly game like NFS. Should I use a terrain or particular triangles?

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#4]
I've not seen nfs but I'm guessing it's like any other race game.

This would mean you'd probably want to create the track out of a mesh or meshes created in a 3D modeller. Creating the whole track as one bit would probably be a bad idea as you're not going to see the whole thing at any one point so if you create it made of chunks then you can hide the bits you can't see and therefore increase performance.

Terrains are really if you're going to see a lot of terrain at the same and you have the ability to roam anywhere (like flight sims or 1nsane).

I would suggest creating the track in a 3D modeller, chop it up into chunks then show and hide as necessary to keep the surface and poly count down.

JPD(Posted 2003) [#5]
Ok, I have one big problem:

I create a mesh. How can I map this mesh like that used in NFS? 2 Triangles are 1 Surface ....

| /|
| / |
| / |
| / |
|/ |

eBusiness(Posted 2003) [#6]
You are new to the forum, if you are new to game programming too, then start with something more simple and work your way up. Creating such a game is a lot a lot a lot a lot of hard hard hard hard WORK!

WolRon(Posted 2003) [#7]
If you want to 'draw' text to the forum, use the {code][/code] method.
|    /| 
|   / | 
|  /  | 
| /   | 
|/    | 

NFS tracks are just like normal meshes, except that they are typically only so wide. The 'edges' are usually turned up to prevent the car from leaving the track and to prevent the player from seeing over the edge.

I used to play around modifying NFS tracks and I'm pretty sure that there was not seperate surfaces. The reason I say this is because I could add polygons in between existing ones already on the mesh and the textures automatically wrapped over them.

PaulJG(Posted 2003) [#8]
NFS Underground was designed in 'chunks'..

A whole city was modelled, and the tracks designed around certain routes. As you've no doubt noticed NFS U. has a very high polycount, thats because your limited as to what track (or part of city) you can drive around in..

Whereas GTA 3 is 'freeflow' (you get to go whereever you want).. but at the price of a low'ish polycount.

Your best bet... or the way I'd do it - design the whole city/level in a 3d package, and split it into sections.

1 complete mesh/object for each section

That way you'd only have to use the certain sections you want for that race, and have the added bonus of being able to hide away sections that cant be seen.

But, YES it is possible..

[edit] rereading your post you wanted to do early nfs track which where more 'open'.. but its the same principle as above.

JPD(Posted 2003) [#9]
That's much work, but those ideas are good. I'll try that ...

:-)