Textures? Bump maps? Colour maps?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Textures? Bump maps? Colour maps?

elseano(Posted 2003) [#1]
Which of these can be used in Blitz 3d? I can't really get my head around this whole texturing/UV maps/colour maps stuff...could someone please explain it to me? I am using milkshape 3D to do my modelling, and I don't really want to shell out for Tatoo or UltimateUnwrap, so can I do it all in just Milkshape and Blitz? :/

Rob(Posted 2003) [#2]
Yes you can apply all of these manually. Start with one subject and ask away.

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#3]
Click on Rob's "Demo 2" to see some wonders :)

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#4]
Actually, no bump maps yet, but you can do dot3 mapping which is comparable, but only works with non-animated objects.

elseano(Posted 2003) [#5]
Ok, i'll rephrase my question ;]
How do you apply textures in Blitz and make them look good and realistic?

ie. If it was a model of a person, how would you make it so that the 'face' part of the person ended up on the 'face' part of the model?

Also, what is Dot3 mapping and how do I utilise it?

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#6]
Well, your first point. It's called UV mapping or unwrapping. It can be done by quite a few programs, the best i've found is ultimate unwrap. Basically when you create a model, each triangle has it's equivant 2d tri on a UV map (actually each vertex has it's own set of UV co-ords, but it's easier to explain).

You would simply (yeah, simply) select the triangle for the model, which would show the equivant 2d triangle on the UV map, and pull all the triangles of the face and arrange them on the UV map so they looked like the face, and more importantly, had a smooth texture running across them. You should download it to so what i'm gibbering about!

As for your second point, i'm not qualified to answer that :)

elseano(Posted 2003) [#7]
Are there any other programs for texturing models?

Rob(Posted 2003) [#8]
Actually, no bump maps yet, but you can do dot3 mapping which is comparable, but only works with non-animated objects.

Where are getting these gleaming nuggets of information? You can bump map animated objects perfectly fine if you wish to.

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#9]
I think he is talking about if an arm rotates and the lighting on the bump-map/normal map looks wrong.

@£ls£an0, Check out Tattoo. You can see it from the home page on this site. It lets you paint directly onto your models. Although, you have to layout the uv's. Tattoo and ultimate unwrap are a great combination :D

elseano(Posted 2003) [#10]
Ok, thanks. I found some stuff in the help file that was quite good, too :)