Two questions: find out the height of mesh on X,Y,Z + collision question

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Two questions: find out the height of mesh on X,Y,Z + collision question

Jeroen(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi!

Question 1:
I'd like to place "statues" randomly in my level, but at the spot where they should be placed, I don't know the height of the mesh. If I know them, I can align them correctly. I COULD add gravity so they fall down until they reach the ground, but it's a little bit "overdone" IMHO.

Question 2:
I have a b3d file of a character, but it seems he falls through the floor until it reaches its stumach. At that point Blitz sees "collision"...Why doesn't it stay on his feet? Do I need to do something to prepare the model so I avoid this?

Thanks community for being so patient :-) I love Blitz!

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#2]
Hey, for your first question, you could make the level pickable. Then do a line pick straightdown, and use the PickedY() command to get the height. Should be the easiest way to do it.

For your second question, it sounds like your character's Entity Radius is too small. Try changing it to a higher value. :)

Rottbott(Posted 2003) [#3]
Don't forget that in newer Blitz versions you can just change the Y-radius, and leave the X-radius alone. So you get ellipsoid collisions instead of sphere, which tends to fit better with humanoid character models.

Jeroen(Posted 2003) [#4]
Aaah the second question is solved. And I will look at the linepick feature soon! Thanks guys!
@Rottbot: didn't know that, I'll adjust it!

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#5]
Hey again, check this thread out for some LinePicking stuff. :D

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=27837