compiler comparisons - real world test!

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/compiler comparisons - real world test!

Andy UK(Posted 2003) [#1]
Just done a BSP(1024x768x32) test between Blitz3D and Darkbasic Pro. The test involved loading and displaying a BSP including simple movement and free flight control. No collision detection included and vsync was off in both tests. Guess what?? Blitz3D BLITZED DBpro!! and not just by a few fps.. i managed between 180 and 500 fps in Blitz and 40 to 123 fps in DBpro... both used the same maps. I know DBpro uses DX9 but surely its not that slow.. maybe somebody can elaborate.. btw. blitz started slowing down as it hit 50,000 tris, which i think is pretty good.

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#2]
fancy posting a link to the sample apps and BSP? That way we can all test it so we can get good multi-system results.

Andy UK(Posted 2003) [#3]
I really want to but as i understand it, BSP's are copyright of ID software and these particular maps come with Quake 3 Arena so it might be a bit dodgy. If someone can send me a link to a custom Quake 3 BSP ill do it.

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#4]
I don't know of any map sites (I'm sure someone somewhere does though), but I did find a free Q3 like bsp map compiler (http://map3bspc.sourceforge.net/)

Andy UK(Posted 2003) [#5]
Very nice! This will be a godsend if it works... ill get back to you soon... thanx very much!

Rob(Posted 2003) [#6]
another thing to be aware of is dbpro uses the lowest lod default setting for curved surfaces and blitz uses the highest setting. So Blitz usually does more work, -however- before a complaint is made about the looks, I suggest we wait until modulate2x blend is in, because it makes the world of a difference.

skidracer(Posted 2003) [#7]
Here is Mark's original BSP demo which contains a free to distribute .BSP file. Just to be pedantic, the speed differences noted have nothing to do with the two product's compilers but their intergrated three deee engines, with Blitz benefiting I assume here from correct viz handling in it's bsp support.

http://blitz3d.co.uk/index.php4?page=downloads&view=&order_by=name&download_no=4&file=bspdemo.zip

Zmatrix(Posted 2003) [#8]
Im impressed that you got a bsp that large to compile in DBpro, I have so far had no luck on anything more than a few 1000 tris.
Skidracer is right tho, it has nothing to do with the compiler itself.
a few months(more like 5) ago i posted a test
involving a 140k tri mesh(no bsp)
and found silimlar results.
with blitz pushing about 18-20 million polys per second
and Dbpro about 8-10 million(I had to merge the surfaces myself to get that speed)
3drad tuned in a measley 2.5-3 million ...lol (no hardware t&l support)

Zmatrix

Andy UK(Posted 2003) [#9]
I can now appreciate the difference between a 3deee engine and a compiler ;)