Smoothing Terrains???

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Smoothing Terrains???

Kozmi(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi All,

Kinda' need some help here with trying to find a function or a piece of code fragment that will help me smooth out my terrains. I need this for my terrain editor im' designing right now and any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Guys...

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#2]
A blur on the terrain heightmap (or data) should do it. Have a look in the code archive for Blur or Gaussian.

Sweenie(Posted 2003) [#3]
Check out this tutorial...

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#4]
basic blur algo off the top of my head and psudeo-code ish:

blur=1
for xpos=0 to size
for ypos=0 to size

total#=0
for x=-blur to blur
for y=-blur to blur

total=total + [result from xpos+x,ypos+y]

next
next

put total/(((blur*2)+1)*((blur*2)+1)) into a new image or array or whatever at xpos,ypos. This total divided by the total blur size squared, so if blur is 1 then it's a 3x3 block = 9. blur=2 will be a 5x5 block = 25

next
next

Then copy the new image or array you're using over the top of the old one. Hey presto blurry heaven!

Warren(Posted 2003) [#5]
If you're looking to do localized smoothing, just take a 3x3 sampling around the location you're trying to smooth ... add the values together, divide by 9 and replace that location with that value.

This is what I did for UnrealEd's terrain editor.

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#6]
Epic, you don't want to replace the value, you need to add it to a new array/image first otherwise you'll be averaging average numbers and it will not work correctly.

once you've created your new image you then replace the values.

Warren(Posted 2003) [#7]
Yep. I was talking about averaging a single location. If you need to do more than one, yeah, store them in a temporary work area and then replace them all at the end.

Kozmi(Posted 2003) [#8]
Hey Guys...

This is a code sample that I got from the CSP Terrain editor
But when I use it... It just flattens my terrains as soon as I press the corresponding key that activates this code?!

Here's the code:

Dim feld#(140,140)
weich#=100.0

If KeyDown(31)=True
If smtogg=0
 For j=0 To 128
  For i=0 To 128
 w#=0
  wold#=feld#(i,j)
   For j2=0 To 2
    For i2=0 To 2
     w#=w#+feld#(i+i2,j+j2)
    Next
   Next
   w#=((wold#*weich#)+w#)/(weich#+9)
   ModifyTerrain terrain,(i),(j),w#
   feld#(i,j)=w#
  Next
 Next
 smtogg=1
Else
 For j=128 To 2 Step -1
  For i=128 To 2 Step -1
  w#=0
  wold#=feld#(i,j)
   For j2=2 To 0 Step -1
    For i2=2 To 0 Step -1
     w#=w#+feld#(i-i2,j-j2)
    Next
   Next
   w#=((wold#*weich#)+w#)/(weich#+9)
   ModifyTerrain terrain,(i),(j),w#
   feld#(i,j)=w#
  Next
 Next
 smtogg=0
EndIf
EndIf

Still trying to work with this to get it to work.. But any suggestions on the proper direction I should go would be greatly appreciated very much so!

Thank's Guys in advance!

Kozmi(Posted 2003) [#9]
So does anybody have any suggestions concerning this code fragment above here???

Id' greatly appreciate any suggestions on this and hopfully I might be able to use this or something else for smoothing of my terrains...

Thanks a bunch!!