meshes Intersect or linepick ?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/meshes Intersect or linepick ?

cash(Posted 2003) [#1]
I have a player running around the screen and need him to shoot. I have tested several methods but the one I want to persue is to use either linepick or meshesintersect so I can have a target projected onto objects in the distance.
Camerapick works to a point but can give false results when the man is in certain areas as the target image drawn onscreen appears behind him and camerapick "shoots" where he shouldn`t.

I have used types for bullets but I do not get the effect I want...

Anyway heres the question

If I use linepick how can I get it to rotate with the character. It seems that parenting it etc just means it takes the absolute X,Y,Z and ignores the rotational angle.

So I thougt meshesintersect might work, but how to I get the value of the point at which they intersect so I can draw my sprite here.

Any help would be great...

cash(Posted 2003) [#2]
No worries, I was having a block..All sorted now.
The XYZ of the player did not change, but using a pivot
as a reference sorted it...I think..

gpete(Posted 2003) [#3]
er, Cash- can you load up some code sample---
I'd like to see how you did it!
I have been messing around with camerapick and linepick
and using a sprite EntityZ to make a "pseudo" collision, (rather than EntityBox########).
It works..., but after a number of collisons- something overloads and crashes the program.

cash(Posted 2003) [#4]
Linepick seems to be a pain and the results arent what I first thought. however,

I have had a lot of success with parenting for example a long narrow cylinder to the player with an entityalpha of 0.
This is always hidden infront of the player and by using meshesintersect with certain conditions I can pretty much do what I would expect to do with linepick.

cash(Posted 2003) [#5]
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The only thing is, I need to be able to determine the exact point at which the meshesintersect so I can run the "bullet hitting" routines etc...Any Ideas on how to do this please ?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++