Is this too much

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Is this too much

Jeroen(Posted 2003) [#1]
TrisRendered() says: 42521.
On my computer (Ati Radeon 9700 pro) everything is running smooth.

On another computer (Geforce2GTS) I see a terrible slowdown. Suddenly, when it drops to 10000 and something, I see it goes smooth.

How can I prevent this, except using less polycounty meshes?

Jeroen(Posted 2003) [#2]
In addition: would it help to import seperate meshes (not one really big mesh) and make use of Blitz "entityInView -> hideEntity" trick?

poopla(Posted 2003) [#3]
Well there are so many other factors ya didnt mention. Texture size, running anti aliasing, Surface count(an important factor). The way the two pieces of hardware handle these factors are very different.

Texture size is something I'd watch on the older card. And of course simply hoping to get the same speed out of both cards is not going to happen(most likely). Lower poly counts are obviously going to help(sorry).

Jeroen(Posted 2003) [#4]
As soon as the polycount got lower every thing seemed to be "triggered" instantly to a smooth gameplay.

As for the surface count, I don't know what's high or low.
My level consists of 4 seperate pieces:

surface count piece 1: 79
surface count piece 2: 79
surface count piece 3: 79
surface count piece 4: 79
surface count border: 69

Usually the viewer only sees maximal three meshes at once, in the most unideal situation.

Jeroen(Posted 2003) [#5]
I don't know if this is the problem, but there were textures sized wrong. After resizing them the slowness is still there.

Shambler(Posted 2003) [#6]
Thats an incredibly large amount of surfaces and is probably what is killing your performance.

Why so many surfaces?

If you are using Flip then that is why you suddenly see a "trigger" moment, using Flip False will show a more accurate fps count.

The main things I see kill fps is surface count and fill rate.

Are you overriding mipmapping? This can have a severe effect on fill rate.

My current game has 170,000 triangles with 6 surfaces and 110fps, this is without any culling so is worst case.

Jeroen(Posted 2003) [#7]
Hmmmm weird, I don't know what cause all the surfaces; I'm just importing five meshes that form the level...
Thanks for the hint though

Jeroen(Posted 2003) [#8]
OKay I need a lesson: technically speaking, what are surfaces *exactly*? Thanks :D

Shambler(Posted 2003) [#9]
Basically a surface is a collection of vertices/triangles which all use the same texture.

A mesh is a collection of these surfaces.

So for example if you had a mesh which used 2 different textures e.g. A texture for the road and maybe a texture for the pavement, it should only have 2 surfaces.

In this case if it has more than 2 surfaces then there is something wrong with the way it is being exported from your 3D model designing software.

What package are you using to design/save your meshes?

Are you exporting it as a single mesh or as several individual objects?

I think the word Surface poorly describes what a surface actually is...Material would be a better word.

sswift(Posted 2003) [#10]
No Material wouldn't be a better word, because it's not a material, a brush is more of a material. :-)

All polygons in a surface can have one set of surface properties assigned to them. This include blending mode, alpha, color, texture, and shininess, as well as a few other things which you can get with the FX flags, like fogging and ambient light.

When these properties change on a polygon it "stalls" the 3d card. Hence the reason Blitz has "surfaces". It allows you to optimize out as many stalls as possible.

3x80 = 240 surfaces. Which is quite a few. That'll definitely cause a significant drop in FPS. I wouldn't go over 200 total in your game. 150 would be even better. That means that in addition to getting your level down to 200, you're gonna wanna reduce it even further if you want to have any enemies, particles, or powerups in your levels.

Jeroen(Posted 2003) [#11]
Hey!

That is interesting, in fact, I didn't thought of the principle "surface count" as a whole. We use Maya to export to .X file, with Deep Exploration as the step between Maya and Blitz.

Something is definately going wrong...although I don't know WHAT is going wrong :(

Thanks!