HWMultiTex

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/HWMultiTex

John Blackledge(Posted 2003) [#1]
So if I use - HWMultiTex True, and according to the manual:
'some cards have problems dealing with hardware multitexturing' - does Blitz _know_ that the card can't support this and uses 'its own software technique, which involves duplicating objects that just have one texture each. '
In other words can I leave this on by default, and will Blitz handle the situation if the harware can't do it?

sswift(Posted 2003) [#2]
No. Cards that have problems with it are generlaly cards that create udesireable visual artifacts when using it, which is not something Blitz can detect.

This is usually a driver problem with the card, so it's up to the card manufacturer to fix it.

I haven't seen any problems with this lately. I think it was a problem with terrains for a while on ATI cards.

John Blackledge(Posted 2003) [#3]
Thanks (once again) sswift.
So would you say that it's fairly safe to to set HWMultiTex True as the default?

sswift(Posted 2003) [#4]
You don't need to set it at all, because it's on by default. I'm pretty sure anyhow. :-)

But yes. It should be safe. But it would be even safer to offer an option to disable it in your game. However, if nobody ever complains to you that they have a problem with it when testing on these forums, then I doubt you'll have a problem with it.