Semi-transparent image

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Semi-transparent image

eBusiness(Posted 2003) [#1]
I'm trying to use a semitransparent image, one that is solid in some areas, transparent in others, and completely invisible in some areas. Is this possible with png? And how to convert my TGA-files correctly? The docs says that blitz only support BMP, JPEG ang PNG files, so I'm pretty much stuck with the TGA files.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#2]
Since you post this in the Blitz3D Forum I suggest to use sprites or quads for that. Basicly load the tga as a sprite and position it in front of the camera, then parent it to the camera. you can also use a quad that has been loadad or created from 2 triangles, it might be better, I remember in earlier times Sprites didn't support fog, but maybe they support it now (?). However, using your Image as a texture will allow to use any transparency, with TGA the alpha map is completely independent from the pixel brightness (unlike with JPG, BMP aso.). Simply use the alpha-flag (value 2) when you use a Quad, or use a Sprite in Alpha Mode (and not Addition or Multiplication), which is default afaik.

eBusiness(Posted 2003) [#3]
Oh, thougt blitz would only load BMP, JPG ang PNG, but that seems to be a limitation only to the LoadImage function. For another project I tried to use Orthographic mode to make a 2D world, that really sucked. I ended up using 27 individual images for Trio, some alpha map would have been smarter, but I'm not gonna change it now.

And thanks for your reply.

Rob(Posted 2003) [#4]
PNG supports alpha.