"Vivid" PS2 Graphics-Possible in Blitz?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/"Vivid" PS2 Graphics-Possible in Blitz?

KovaSteel(Posted 2003) [#1]
Anyone who played PS2 games may notice that the graphics(like in FFX or Kingdom Hearts) and the textures or the atmosphere itself look kinda "vivid"(Don`t know how to explain it but it`s kinda bright or something like that). Does this has something to do with the TV Screen or the capabilities of the PS2? And is this possible in Blitz3D(Use lights??)?

Sledge(Posted 2003) [#2]
I hope you're not referring to the woeful case of the "jaggies" that the PS2 has... you'd be the first person in recorded history to express a preference for it if you are :/

sswift(Posted 2003) [#3]
No, he's refering to how bright and colorful the images are.

Kova:
A lot of PC games really suck when it comes to looking bright. Games like Quake used very dark textures and then made them even darker with "light maps" that really only added shadow.

Even games like Unreal don't have the textures pushed up as bright as they could be. It's an art decision.

But TV's also are just a LOT brighter than PC monitors. That helps a lot. Even if you push the brightness up as far as possible on the PC you still might not get that look you want.

The best game I've seen for this is Serious Sam. They do a real good job of making stuff look bright and vivid. But it's still not as bright as it would be on the TV. :-)

Sledge(Posted 2003) [#4]

No, he's refering to how bright and colorful the images are.

the textures or the atmosphere itself look kinda "vivid"(Don`t know how to explain it but it`s kinda bright or something like that)

He doesn't sound so sure to me. Jaggies will cause colours to shimmer on certain textures, it can give the illusion of them being alive, busy or vibrant (although I'm not saying that this is necessarily what he's referring to). There are plenty of consoles that don't have the PS2's visual character, but suffice to say the kind of effect CRT has on images (bleeding colours etc) is the very thing that monitors are designed to move you away from, so reproducing the look is not going to be easy.

Chances are, the effect is a combination of a relatively low-res image, natural anti-aliasing from the screen and the PS2's interlaced signal. Given the PC's hardware (and the fact that PC gamers won't go for low-res imagery with burned-out colours and textures that update funny) Sswift is probably giving you the best advice possible in suggesting that you just work at getting a good palette together.

KovaSteel(Posted 2003) [#5]
Sswift got the point of what I`m trying to tell. So this bright effect is produced by the textures used and the added bright effect of the television screen!Now i know why PS2 games have a kinda different look from PC ones.

So this effect(if it is one)is not FULLY(Only achievable to some extent from my opinion)achievable on the PC with blitz3d?

Shambler(Posted 2003) [#6]
I would think that adjusting the gamma tables would be the best place to start.

Anyone have an algorithm for scaling the contrast/brightness using the SetGamma command?

Sledge(Posted 2003) [#7]

So this effect(if it is one)is not FULLY(Only achievable to some extent from my opinion)achievable on the PC with blitz3d?

You could always run the PC signal though a telly... it's not really down to Blitz or your PC if monitors behave differently to CRT! Sometimes adding scanlines helps the look of monitor-bound PC stuff (I'm thinking MAME here, really) but I don't know how you'd add those in Blitz without a significant overhead.

sswift(Posted 2003) [#8]
Another thing tht TV's do different than PC's is that the darkest colors are often brighter than the darkest colors on the PC. So if you adjust the gamma table so that the darkest colors get pushed up a bit so that nothing is pure black, like, move it up 31 notches, then that might give you more of a TV look too. Movies have low contrast and not very black blacks and that's what gives them their look.

necky(Posted 2003) [#9]
It's a TV to monitor thing. I know this because I've just had to do the graphics for a PS2 game.

KovaSteel(Posted 2003) [#10]
So the main cause of not having the "vivid and colorful" graphics is the monitor??

I think I`ll have to cope with this and try to adjust my textures for the look.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#11]
or get a video card with tv-out and design your grpahics on their. I know i do that sometimes cos the difference in look can be outstanding when you ytry it on a monitor and tv. I think it looks better on tv, brighter, more colorful and doesn't have the horrible look pc monitors have.