PS2 Graphics

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/PS2 Graphics

Ash_UK(Posted 2003) [#1]
Is blitz3D capable of producing games at the same quality as PS2 (with the same quality of graphics).

Sunteam Software(Posted 2003) [#2]
Yes, the questionable thing about that is anti-aliasing which really depends on the gfx card the game is being played on (ATI seems to be better at this at the mo). PS2 has some good all-in-one-hit features like the anti-aliasing which on modern gfx cards are getting easier to do, however unlike PS2 architecture you never know what spec the target PC will be, hence why you often go for a min spec and recommended spec of PC for your game.

So errm in reality yes it is entirely possible with a good artist and some clever programming.

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#3]
I thought that the PS2 had very little texture memory, making it more likely that Blitz would allow better quality graphics on most cards.

Also, PS2 only has to work at a resolution around the 640x480 mark. Most PC users want/need graphics at higher resolutions, 1024x768 and above, making the graphics card have to work at least 4 times harder.

BLUE - maybe you should post some screens of PS2 games you like the graphics in.

Genexi2(Posted 2003) [#4]
Silent Hill 3 anyone?
(for ne1 who's never played it, all I gotta say is, the graphics are @#!(*)&$#()!@*#)!@ wicked....)

Anyway, yeah, you could do PS2-quality graphics in B3d, but the only thing that the word "quality" could be referred to is high-poly characters and high-rez textures (which I dont see much of high-rez textures in average PS2 games), so, mainly, aside from little eye-candy such as bump-mappin, shader's, etc, yeah, you can make pretty lookin' games\demo's in Blitz depending on the quality of your models\textures\artwork.

IPete2(Posted 2003) [#5]
Blue,

"Is blitz3D capable of producing games at the same quality as PS2 (with the same quality of graphics). "

I would say the answer is not on a pc screen. I think a lot of the fantastic look of PS2 GC and XBox is due to the fact that the CRT is a lot less able to resolve a pixel, so you get chroma shifts, luma gains, proper black and interlace artifacts. The screen has a lot to do with it.

These all help to soften the image on the eye and make the colour seem far better than anything on a normal PC screen.

The rendering of B3d is also slightly less powerful and not as clean I would say. But I am being quite picky here.

For example if I get a texture of a road and look at the dotted white line down the centre in Blitz it would be seen to blur as it goes into the distance. The same texture in a different renderer (such as OpenGL) looks far better and a cleaner overall.

Blitz is very good but I would also add that it depends upon who programmes the game, who designs it and who creates the graphics for it. Get a really good team, like the guys I work with, and you hav a pretty good chance of getting very near.

These are my experiences, not my guesses.

Regards,

IPete2.

SoggyP(Posted 2003) [#6]
Hi folks,

So how do you actually say
all I gotta say is, the graphics are @#!(*)&$#()!@*#)!@ wicked
?

Later,

Jes

Rob(Posted 2003) [#7]
The PC+Blitz completely craps on ps2. It can also do most gamecube effects but not all xbox effects, as that has shaders.

Nearly everything can be worked around however.

Robert(Posted 2003) [#8]
For example if I get a texture of a road and look at the dotted white line down the centre in Blitz it would be seen to blur as it goes into the distance. The same texture in a different renderer (such as OpenGL) looks far better and a cleaner overall.

I think that is probably partly just something to do with the fact that Blitz uses the DirectX 7 renderer, There was a noticeable improvement in quality when a certain competitor's product moved from DX7 to DX8 to DX9. I don't know enough to say whether this would make a huge difference, but it seems like it.

necky(Posted 2003) [#9]
" Is blitz3D capable of producing games at the same quality as PS2 (with the same quality of graphics). "

Completely depends on the game and the production team? The PC will always have better hardware as it is constantly being upgraded. You can't do Normal Mapping on the PS2, nor can you have varied resolutions and so it goes on.

But at the end of the day a computer is just a giant paper weight without the human input.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#10]
you gotta remember when it comes to coding blitz lets you do it all, so you see something in a ps2 game, you can do it in blitz with effort and talent, it's just graphical effects like the lighting which we can't compete with.