Simple lightmapper for blitz3d?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Simple lightmapper for blitz3d?

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#1]
Just wanna know if there are some lightmappers for blitz3d who can create nice shadows, and lighting in all colors, detailed, which supports shadow overlapping for free, or not too expensive software?

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#2]
I'm thinking of an interface where I can place lights, adjust it's intensivity and color, automatically generates the shadows, and then I can export to some file blitz3d can import.

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#3]
Something like THIS ?

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#4]
GREEEAAT THANKS. That editor seems awesome :).

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#5]
Don't forget Lightbulb. Look for a post by Skitchy; it's linked in his sig.

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#6]
Gile's isn't free though is it?

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#7]
Also check out BSP Factory.

And Maplet, Quill3D and CartShop of course. These 3 force you to use a particular map builder tho.

TeraBit(Posted 2003) [#8]
@Perturbatio

No not free, but:
not too expensive software

Ice9(Posted 2003) [#9]
I would think the ability to load custom level files through scripting or plugin would be a must have feature in a standalone light mapper or a library that can be included where meshes and lights can be passed to a function using a type list. I would certainly pay for some thing like that. The time savings involved would be immense. Game level files vary so drasticly that breaking it down to the least common denominator of the entities used in blitz would seem the reasonable course of design rather than using an off the shelf format. My view culling occlusion and LOD systems in my Vis tables are specialized and converting the levels to another file format would take as much time as writing a suitable light mapper for the levels and of course the quality of some of the lightmappers produced in blitz are phenomenoly better that wha I could produce in the time frame I have set.

Akat(Posted 2003) [#10]
so many of them...

maplet - free (blitzuser edition)
lightbulb
BSP factory
giles
quill3d
carthography shop
Max - look at the tutorial

select one suit u

Skitchy(Posted 2003) [#11]
LightBulb is £20, but I'm unsure if you can still buy it from Binary People (the buy button is still there, but they've decided to stop selling ALL shareware games/apps altogether). I've been working on other stuff recently, so haven't been bothered to set up my own shop for it.

It does include the custom loader stuff as Arbitrage mentioned, and you can set up levels and attach unlimited information to any object. Plus, it keeps everything automatic and meshes separate so that you can do your own VIS stuff if you want to.

Make your own decision though - I'm not gonna give you the 'sales pitch' attitude here :) If you *do* want it, then let me know and I'll try to sort something out (you can still get the demo from BP).

CopperCircle(Posted 2003) [#12]
Im looking to buy a lightmapper that will let me use it in the way YAL works, I have my own editor but want to be able to call functions to lightmap my levels, YAL is fine but really slow when working with any slightly complicated mesh.