ALT-TAB

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/ALT-TAB

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi

when I alt tab in the app (when its running in windowed mode) although the title bar goes grey the app is still visible (as the top window). Why is this?

I've tried some of the sample apps and they work fine.

Any thoughts?

Sunteam Software(Posted 2003) [#2]
Are you testing this in debug mode from the compiler as that might be why?

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2003) [#3]
Nope.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2003) [#4]
would appear to fail if you do something like...

graphics3d 800,600,32,1
graphics3d 800,600,32,2

Then the alt-tab does not work properly. If you just do
graphics3d 800,600,32,2 then all is ok. So it would appear that if you have been running in full screen mode then change to windowed mode the ALT-TAB is screwy!!!

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? Cos I want to start my game in full screen but allow the user to change to windowed mode via a menu. If they do then ALT-TAB fails to work properly...

Boohoo.

Sunteam Software(Posted 2003) [#5]
Try using EndGraphics before opening a new resolution, that should do it. Note that all loaded gfx media will need reloading.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2003) [#6]
EndGraphics does not fix it.

Also EndGraphics is the opposite of Graphics NOT Graphics3d!

SabataRH(Posted 2003) [#7]
Also EndGraphics is the opposite of Graphics NOT Graphics3d!

What sunteam is tring to tell you is - EndGraphics() should be called before you reinitialize another Graphics3d() command. Alt-tab works with windowing because the application window retains activeness even though its minimized or reduced ... this is not the case in full-screen mode as the window loses priority and being its' a Dx window it may/will cause things to act screwy... Not a way around this im afraid.. We actually need a disable alt-tab approach as discused in earlier topics.

Besides changing ScreenRes without restarting the app is not a good idea(with blitz anyways)..