Speed of Blitz's Sphere-Polygon collisions?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Speed of Blitz's Sphere-Polygon collisions?

ashmantle(Posted 2003) [#1]
I would like to know if anyone knows how well Blitz3D performs when checking collisions for 1-10 spheres against a quite detailed polygon mesh..

Im making an editor, and I wish to know this now before I really get into making my 3D contents.. I am creating "bricks" (kinda like tiles in 2D) which I place together in my editor, and then use Addmesh to compile it all to a single surface..

I might end up with a level with ~30.000 polygons, and I would like to know if this is bad so I can get into thinking workarounds right away :)

Rob(Posted 2003) [#2]
Very fast. You can do hundreds.

The problem arises when you have lots of collision ID's.
Collisions are fast if you keep them in as many groups as possible. This means giving a bunch of spheres all the same EntityType ids for speed.

The number of polys doesn't really impact like you think. Perhaps Blitz is fairly optimised for these situations.

ashmantle(Posted 2003) [#3]
cool! thanks for the swift reply.. I really thought I was going to get a negative response :)

I am only going to have 3 different collision groups.. player, enemy and projectiles :)

Ricky Smith(Posted 2003) [#4]

I am only going to have 3 different collision groups.. player, enemy and projectiles

As it's 3d you might want to add one more collision group for the scenery unless you want your player to fall through the floor or walk/shoot through walls!

Neochrome(Posted 2003) [#5]
i use 2 collisions ids
player 2 world
world to player_head

t = entitycollided(a,b); returns the Pointer.. (mesh)
and apptitle entityname$(t)

ashmantle(Posted 2003) [#6]
Smiff: hehe... forgot that one :)