What is a lightmap?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/What is a lightmap?

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi,

just wondering exactly what a lightmap is how to implement one in my 3d game.

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#2]
Have a look here or try the first link in my signature :)

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2003) [#3]
Hi Fredbord,

thanks I had a look at Gile[s] but I have a level made up of cubes. not a b3d or .x file. I was wondering how I could make it look better, I guess that realtime lightign is not the preferred way of lighting a level but perhpas a lightmap is but don't know how to implement it.

Rogue Vector(Posted 2003) [#4]
In my opinion 'lightmaps' should really be called 'shadow maps'.

In essence, they are use to burn shadows onto the existing textures applied to the world geometry. In your case, the cubes.

I have a couple of light mapping applications that I use regularly (i.e. BSP Factory, Quill 3D) and they both require Blitz or BSP light entities to be placed in the scene.

The bottom line is that you still need the light entities to be present, or the scene will just be completely black - irregardless of whether you have a lightmap or not.

As for real-time lighting, I think you may be getting confused with dynamic lighting effects - such as the real time movement of a weapons plasma ball down a corridor for example.

Mustang(Posted 2003) [#5]
And cubemap lighting can be used instead of lightmaps to light your maps without lights at all, ie your level cubes :P

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2003) [#6]
OK, so how can I setup lightmaps / cubemaps without using BSP factory or Quill3d. I have created my own level editor in blitz3d and want to add lightmaps / cubemaps to certain textures / cubes...

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#7]
Look for YAL in the Code Archives. These are simple to use lightmapping routines.

Rob(Posted 2003) [#8]
In my opinion 'lightmaps' should really be called 'shadow maps'.
Shadow maps are an entirely different greyscale breed. Lightmaps are the light and the shadow. A shadowmap is just shadow and nothing.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2003) [#9]
Doesn't appear to be all there, kissing the ray_intersect.bb file...

HELP!

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#10]
Here it is!

Rogue Vector(Posted 2003) [#11]
"Shadow maps are an entirely different greyscale breed."

This is true, but the word 'lightmap' causes confusion.

If you're new to all this it is tempting to assume that lightmaps emitt light - they don't. They are used to burn light and dark regions on to textures.

You still need to place light entities (emitters) in the scene.