anyone got the latest car physics demo (verlet thing) by various authors?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/anyone got the latest car physics demo (verlet thing) by various authors?

Rob(Posted 2003) [#1]
Would be a great help! I'm trying to understand them.

-OR- The first person to create a verlet physics system where I can call a routine like handle = CreateVerletBox() etc and ScaleVerletBox() with ShowVerletDebug() to visualise it etc, I will personally PAY THEM LOTS OF CASH.
It has to be very easy to integrate with blitz. We only need box style verlet fisiks really...

sswift physics perhaps?

puki(Posted 2003) [#2]
Maybe "bot builder" can help he's been working on a verlet physics system

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#3]
I can do that. when do you need it? It's really easy to do. I already have everything in there, except debugging constraints, and scaleverlets. The engine should be able to do much more than that -ball physics-rag doll physics-mechanichal physics-etc. etc.

I can send it to you for free if you like. I was mening to implement that anyway. I also have the latest car physics demo by miracle/dmc/cleaned up by sswift.

HNPhan(Posted 2003) [#4]
are u planning on finishing it also? I too would PAY THEM LOTS OF CASH! :D

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#5]
Yes yes, I'm 'planning on finishing it'. I decided to switch back to blitz collisions, as my custom collisions were going nowhere fast. I'm trying to decide whether or not to sell it. Probably not. I'll give it to the community. Might as well, as it's kinda repayment for help in problems, etc.

IPete2(Posted 2003) [#6]
bot builder,

You are a real gent!

IPete2.

Miracle(Posted 2003) [#7]
Yes, I have it. It's very nice.

darklordz(Posted 2003) [#8]
Wow bot thats real cool!..

Rob(Posted 2003) [#9]
botbuilder - you are my hero. In fact I insist on paying if you want. Why not paypal? My main concern is trying to make a demo with several different cars. I couldn't get the swift one working properly for this :)

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#10]
:( Ah. My engine isn't really meant for car physics-That's why I didn't mention it. I assume the problem you had was car-car collisions? Well my system doesn't handle that yet either. will require very tricky maths.

If you still want to pay me then paypal's ok, I guess. Never used it for recieving though, just for buying.

I'll probably put it up for d/l pretty soon.

Rob(Posted 2003) [#11]
I need car physics tho :(

I guess a full featured physics system in blitz would sell very well :)

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#12]
yes indeed. Miracle/Dmc/sswifts is probly your best bet. Either that or ODE, and possibly Tokomak if Someone gets it working.

Akat(Posted 2003) [#13]
but at this time i really need ragdoll physics... can u do it too?

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#14]
mmm. It is very possible, but it lacks imedeate support. Each bone needs to have three verlets- a center, and two verlets along different axis. Then you can create constraints from the center of each bone to the other bones keeping the limbs together. then constraints are applied to keep the joints from bending to far. Usually, you would also want collisions between verlets. so you have the center verlet fairly large, preventing limps from going into eachother. I'm trying to create a demo for it, but it's proving harder than I thought.

I'll try to get ragdoll working once I have the source posted.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2003) [#15]
Would it be possible to create a type of IK skeleton using the rag-doll physics method with the correct constraints ?- if so I would be willing to pay LOTS OF CASH too . I've been trying various methods with only slight success - so far.
This is the last hurdle I need to overcome before finishing my animation tool.

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#16]
IK would be possible. It would even work real-time with collisions, ie. Reaching around other objects. basically you just need to change some of the velets to be anchors. Then move around the verlet being used for IK. You might also want to actually disable all the verlets so they aren't even physical. That way it won't have gravity and won't maintain a velocity. just move the minimum distance for IK.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2003) [#17]
Many thanks - I suppose I'll just have to get to grips with all this verlet stuff then - been trying to avoid it up till now as I only have a few brain cells left in good working order ! :)

It seems there's a good commercial opportunity here for anyone who can develop a good generic multi -purpose physics library for Blitz3d. There's three customers on this post already !

Rob(Posted 2003) [#18]
Like havok or mathengine, but easy to use. Preferbly mimicking the blitz way with handles. Object and Handle() can do this to great effect...

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#19]
Yeah. There is a good opportunity there. If I make somthing truely generic, I might take the opportunity. Ahh. the handle thing is noted.

RetroBooster(Posted 2003) [#20]
Currently doing some work on verlet physics myself, more out of personal intrest then the actual need for them, I'd like to lend a hand if needed, would also appreciate it if someone could mail me an updated version of the verlet lib (by miracle-dmc-sswift) currently I only have miracles version which is in the code archives.

(email is in my profile btw.)