Is there a GUI for use with Blitz3D that is freeware and considered decent to use???

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Is there a GUI for use with Blitz3D that is freeware and considered decent to use???

Kozmi(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi All,

This is probably going to sound like a stupid question here... But here it goes!

I was just wondering if anybody can recommend a decent GUI for use with Blitz3D that is decent and also freeware too!

Any information would be greatly appreciated very much so!

P.S. I Wish that the designer of the " BBGadTools " would make some changes to it so it would work with Blitz3D..

I need a decent GUI to use for an application program which requires the use of the 3D perspective viewing screen too!

Thanks Guys!

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2003) [#2]
Yes BCF!

Kozmi(Posted 2003) [#3]
What's BCF??? And where can I go check it out at?

Richard Betson(Posted 2003) [#4]
Check out my GUI at:

http://blitz.idigicon.com/project_detailb.asp?ProjectName=B-Windows%20Windows%20Style%20GUI

It features multiple windows 2d/3d. Each window can have menus and buttons. Multiple world capable.

I'm thinking of opening it up to free if your app is free and shareware license.

l8r,

JaviCervera(Posted 2003) [#5]
Definitely BlitzUI

ckob(Posted 2003) [#6]
i use BlitzUI its the best :)

Filax(Posted 2003) [#7]
BCF is a french guy for blitz ;) very easy to use !

You can download it on :

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/blitz3dfr/mes_projets/BCF_2.0.zip

Filax(Posted 2003) [#8]
BCF is a french gui for blitz ;) very easy to use !

You can download it on :

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/blitz3dfr/mes_projets/BCF_2.0.zip

Kozmi(Posted 2003) [#9]
Wooooooowwwwww........Guys!!!!!

Ask and you shall recieve!!!!
I take my hat off to you guys and thank you ever so much for all this very helpfull information..

Im' currently working on a new World Editor for Blitz3d that will indeed be freeware to anybody that wants & needs it to build their Blitz3D Worlds.. Im' designing this world editor inconjunction with that of the popular Qoole editor v2.50 that was designed for Quake 2 awhile back..
I thought that the Qoole world editor was the easiest world designing tools i've ever seen and I decided to write such an editor for Blitz3D... This way anybody that needs a decent world building tool can have one without having to shell out big bucks to purchase one!
Except this editor is called QoolEdit v1.0
qoolEdit (unlike Qoole v2.50) will be able to use true color textures and also be using CSG geomerty for world building. I intend to put alot of work into this project... But I will be keeping everyone updated as to it's progress & I will be getting a demo together real soon for you guys.

Hey I appreciate you guys helping me out with this to help bring the QoolEdit editor into a reality!

Many thanks again, you guys are great in my book!

Kozmi(Posted 2003) [#10]
@ Jedive & ckob

Where can I find BlitzUI at??? Can you guys post me a link here of give me a web address as to where's it at???

Thanks a bunch again!

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#11]
I think the first version of XLnt is also still freeware. It does support 3D windows as well. E-mail Yappy directly if you are interested. The 2nd version is here: www.xlnt.co.uk

Kozmi(Posted 2003) [#12]
@ MasterBeaker

No XLnt isn't free... At least not anymore, And I did check it out too but since it isn't free I knew that somebody could direct me to a free one since my world builder will also be free too! Thank's anyways...

ckob(Posted 2003) [#13]
the BlitzUI link
http://www.legacygames.co.uk/projects.php?disp=blitzui

enjoy :)

Kozmi(Posted 2003) [#14]
@ ckob

You're the man dude...

Hey thanks again for your kind help, i do appreciate it very much so..!

ckob(Posted 2003) [#15]
no probs

QuickSilva(Posted 2003) [#16]
For a great example of what BlitzUI is capable of just look at the excellent Tattoo on the Blitz home page.

Jason.

MarkT(Posted 2003) [#17]
Im going to have to agree that you get the most out of BLitzUI for its price tag.

Yappy(Posted 2003) [#18]
XLnt 1 is still freeware - get it at BlitzShowcase if u want it ;)

Kozmi(Posted 2003) [#19]
@ Yappy

The only download i've managed to find of your XLnt is the XLnt II which is where the link directs me to! Could you post a direct link to your first one for me to download so I can try it out as well... It now seem's I have a pleanty of choices to making on which GUI is goning to reside in my new world editor?!? Which one will be the lucky contestant???

@ MarkT

Im going to have to agree that you get the most out of BLitzUI for its price tag.

I wasn't awhere that BlitzUI had a price tag on it? I read on the website of BlitzUI that it was free!

Anyways, Thank's a million guys for all your kind help and I hope in the near future you guys will like my new world editor QoolEdit.

Koriolis(Posted 2003) [#20]
I wasn't awhere that BlitzUI had a price tag on it? I read on the website of BlitzUI that it was free!

Yes that's it. That's a good price tag isn't it?
I think there will also be a 2nd version that won't be free, but I may be wrong.

Ethan3850(Posted 2003) [#21]
Doesn't BCF render it's GUI using just the standard 2d commands(?), and wouldn't that mean a slow down when rendering them on top of a camera (stop me if I'm wrong there!)

There's nothing that says a GUI has to look like and behave like Windows (I think someone once used cubes), infact I find creating a GUI quite easy, the hard and boring bit is drawing all the graphics.

I'd try creating your own, that way you'll end up with only the code you need for your program, and you shouldn't need to write the entire GUI code in one go (just the bits you need as you need them).

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2003) [#22]
Sainfohi,

yes BCF using the 2d stuff and will slow your game down however its perfect for things like level editors / game menus etc as speed isn't an issue.

BCF is not only free but very easy to setup, use and has most widgets you'll ever need. Its still in development so it's getting better all the time.

Ethan3850(Posted 2003) [#23]
yes BCF using the 2d stuff and will slow your game down however its perfect for things like level editors / game menus etc as speed isn't an issue.
True - just realised DoctorWho_3DGX was talking about an app.

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#24]
XLnt 1
http://blitz.idigicon.com/project_detailb.asp?ProjectName=XLnt-GUI%203D
or directly to:
http://blitz.idigicon.com/filesystem_download.asp?NickName=yappy&ProjectName=XLnt-GUI%203D&Filename=xlnt.zip

Kozmi(Posted 2003) [#25]
I guess it's ok... I havn't gotten a chance to try out everything in the XLnt II just yet. But on my next day off I intend to give it a try!! Thanks again guys!

roboslug(Posted 2003) [#26]
Just for the record, BlitzUI also uses 2d commands, but as pointed out earlier, probably not a concern for you DoctorWho.

No clue how BCF compares to BlitzUI, but I found BlitzUI to be a pretty good kit for its price and then made lots of changes to it get what I wanted (which included some new features, trimming out the stuff I don't use, and fixing what I considered to be a bug with gadget\ID vs. returned handle).

Again, can't provide comparisons, but BlitzUI is worth checking out and comparing to BCF and Xlnt.

Not sure how much of this is obvious, so feel free to hit the "ignore" button at any time, but here are a few basic rules of gui library selection:

* Design your entire gui on paper or paint program. Then, you have at least one metric by which to compare the gadget support and look & feel of the libraries in their ability to match your goals.

* Also spend some time implementing the same basic app in them, so you can judge which creation and event handling model you find easier to work with.

* Determine how much customization will be required to accomplish anything that a library doesn't do for ya by glancing over the code and see how long it takes you to understand the fundamentals of the system.

* As an alternative to customization, look at what different gadgets might be an ok replacement for what you originally wanted. Integrate that into your original designs and gauge your "pain" factor.

One question you should ask yourself is if you want to be tinkering with the guts of the gui library...if not, Xlntii looks pretty good and kicking a little cash to people for their programming effort is always nice and also great incentive for them to at least listen to your wish lists.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2003) [#27]
BCF is good but has no Tree View gadjet - something thats probaly essential for displaying hierarchy in a 'World Builder'- BlitzUI is excellent and has a tree view.

-=Darkheart=-(Posted 2003) [#28]
BlitzUI has just about everything you could want and isn't sticky or slow. The tree view isn't perfect but it's functional and works.

If you want it for free Blitz UI is the way to go.

Darkheart