Memory acces violation on Renderworld?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Memory acces violation on Renderworld?

Jeroen(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi!,

I have a script that hangs 1 out of 5 times.
When I want to draw a lot of sprites (64x64) on a map, and then call Renderworld, Blitz hangs on "Renderworld"....is this a known problem?

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#2]
More than 65536 vertices on a single surface would cause this. Might this be the case in your code? DirectX doesn't allow you to go beyond this number of vertices in a single surface.

FlameDuck(Posted 2003) [#3]
When I want to draw a lot of sprites (64x64) on a map, and then call Renderworld, Blitz hangs on "Renderworld"....is this a known problem?
Depends on what you mean by "known". It could be a million different things. In the old days, parenting static meshes to animated meshes would cause this. It's been fixed tho' AFAIK.

Jeroen(Posted 2003) [#4]
hmmmmm yes it's a vague problem and I am afraid I can't explain it without handing over lots of code, not very handy for a forum question :)

John Blackledge(Posted 2003) [#5]
This happened to me, and I finally tracked it down to the fact that I should be using using TranslateEntity and NOT MoveEntity, in order to implement gravity (entity/terrain collision). Worth checking.

Jeroen(Posted 2003) [#6]
thanks, it isn't your problem (I use Translate already :P) but still handy to know for in future dev.

Spacemonkey(Posted 2003) [#7]
Hi, FlameDuck

I will do this in a strange langue that only him and me understands...

Hvorfor virker din hjemmeside ikke, man kan ikke hente dine demos ?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#8]
Hey - that is Esperanto - I understand it.

Do you use Random Numners together with a timer-randomseed? This could be the reason why it fails only sometimes.

If so then deactivcate the random-seed to make shure it is using the same numbers every time.

And btw. I think we need a "How to track down bugs" Tutorial in the Tuts Forum!

RiverRatt(Posted 2003) [#9]
"I think we need a "How to track down bugs" Tutorial in the Tuts Forum!"
I think that is a great idea!

Jeroen(Posted 2003) [#10]
It turned out to be a silly problem: I constantly used HideEntity and re-created 4096 new objects when the user wanted to go back to the edit-mode. I now use ShowEntity instead of re-creating and it works.