MOD support suggestions

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/MOD support suggestions

tdman(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi all, I've sent this to support@blitz but I thought I'd pst if here to see if other people would also like to see these ideas implemented in a future Blitz3D update.

First off - I love Blitz 3D, it's ace :-)

However, I am a little disappointed with the support for Mod and XM music. I have some suggestions which I think would be a valuable addition to future updates of Blitz.

The ability to Mute and Unmute specific channels of the mod/xm. This would enable programmers to have more control over the music, and would open the gates for more dynamic music appearing in games.

The ability to trigger a mod/xm from specific patterns, rather than just play them from the start. Again, this would give more flexibility and dynamics to the way music is tied into the game. For instance, a musician could write an XM for a stealth/action game like this:

Patterns 0-7 = title music. End of pattern 7 contains command to loop to pattern 0.
Patterns 8-11 = level action music. End of pattern 11
loops to pattern 8
Patterns 12-15 = level stealth music. End of pattern 15 loops to pattern 12
Pattern 16 = game over music. Pattern plays once.
Pattern 17 = high score music. Pattern loops continuously.

The programmer could then have a command to play the music on the title screen. Then when the game starts the programmer says "ok, the player is now sneaking around, now play the mod from pattern 12". When the player is "spotted" the programmer says "oh, he's been spotted by the enemy, better play the action music" and triggers the tune from
pattern 8. Game over and hi score should be self-explanatory :-)

Doing things like this mean that file-sizes could be smaller, several tunes would use one bank of samples, and also the way that music could be tied to the gameplay is a lot greater.

I hope some of these suggestions make it into a future upgrade :-)