Servant MMOrpg engine released!

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Servant MMOrpg engine released!

ckob(Posted 2003) [#1]
http://servant.binary-people.com/index.html

The engine is now released goto the webpage for more info

Cost $50.00 for one license which will allow the users the following:

*Full documentation *kept up to date*

*Full source code

*Free updates for source code

*All the media models,sprites,textures

*Free media updates

*Email support

*Access to member’s page, forum, and help page
Permission to use all code and media in any software
commercial or non commercial.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#2]
That's looking good. A working MMOrpg engine is something very useful!

I have a few suggestions which will probably help to sell the product:

-Full features list (including max. number of players, meshes-, sounds- compatibility list aso.)
-screenshots page using thumbnails
-Description and shots from the world-editor (I assume there is one)
-Thumbnails gallery of mesh-inventory

Maybe set up a simple version of the game that allows people to download a client and join the game. One that is running 24/7.

ckob(Posted 2003) [#3]
thanks Ill take that into consideration the game client was an idea someone had mentioned I might just do that.

Dazza(Posted 2003) [#4]
What happened to the GNU release you had posted to the news section?

Kuron(Posted 2003) [#5]
What happened to the GNU release you had posted to the news section?
He pulled a Halo. If you still have that version you downloaded at that time, you are free to use it under the original licensing terms that accompanied it at the time of download.

ckob(Posted 2003) [#6]
actually white eagle ALOT of people emailed me asking me to write documentsnstable code and asked if I was gonna make updates for the engine and I said no because I am way to busy in real life to keep working on this project. So i decided if I could get some money for my time spent on it I would write docments,stable release's and keep content updates. The lisence that you buy allows you to use everything for commercial use I dont appreciate "He pulled a Halo" so show some respect for my hard work thank you!

Dazza: I took the source off the sourceforge site because people kept emailing me about problems I had and the reason I put it on the sourceforge site was because I had no time to finish it. The source and models released under the GNU are not usable for comemrcial titles and if you use the source or models in any of your projects you have to make them open source according to the packaged GNU that comes with it.

Like I said I recieved alot of emails from people asking me to make stable release's and documentation on this engine and I worked very hard on the source and models $50.00 for a lisence is not alot considering once you get it you will have a constent update of code and models the models alone are worth more then $50.00.

Kuron(Posted 2003) [#7]
I dont appreciate "He pulled a Halo" so show some respect for my hard work thank you!
You are preaching to the wrong person. I am sorry, but you DID, pull a Halo ;c) My calling you on it, in no way shows a lack of respect for your work! If you will remember, I was the one who was pushing Halo to make it $$ so that people would, and could, actually use the code he released, as a GNU license for a commercial product is counter productive and nobody would use it.

I hope you will consider making it available for licensing via another method for all the people who do not have credit cards and cannot use PayPal. If you do, I will definitely be getting it ;c)

ckob(Posted 2003) [#8]
thats fine and do u mean another payment method? I am gonna release a version of the engine free under GNU but as you probebly know you wont be able to use the GNU release for anything commercial. As far as other payment options go just email me and I can give my personal snail mail address for money orders but that will take a bit longer. IF your intrested please email me im willing to work out some sort of payment plan for anyone.

ckob@...

Kuron(Posted 2003) [#9]
thats fine and do u mean another payment method?
yeppers, I didn't make that too clear. Something like ShareIt would be ideal for those of us who do not have credit cards. Dah, just noticed you are in the US ;c) Yes, money orders would be ideal.

ckob(Posted 2003) [#10]
Ok I am setting up a share-it account as well I will start using share-it instead of paypal.

ckob(Posted 2003) [#11]
ok recieved a couple emails and to clear any further confusion, I am starting a small F.A.Q which will be moved onto the user forum as soon as mysql is setup on my host.

--------------FAQ-----------------------
Q: How many players are supported

A:The engine comes with blitzplay pro 1.0 I have talked with surreal the creator of Blitzplay and come to an agreement so that I may package the library with the Servant engine so the users dont have to use blitzplay lite. Your not only getting all these great modes,and an engine but also the ver 1.0 of blitzplay pro. So as of now there arnt any limits.

Q: What are the server requirements for running the games server?

A:To give you a basic idea of the server req I listed below the system I was using for the server with no lag experiance what so ever:

CPU : Amd athlon 500 mhz
RAM: 512 mb (SDRAM) * I recommend a high # of ram for processing speed

Storage: 20 gb Hard drive
Conenction: T1 (cable works just the samefor 2000 nodes)

Q: Is it seperate zones?

A: As far as the zones go this is what will be seen in a few updates from now or perhaps a large update. The game currently has VERY rough experimental zoning which will be replaced with endless mesh terrain. I hate playing mmo's and just when you think the world is huge you hit an invisible wall and poof your in another zone or something.

Q: Will there be a free version or a demo?

A: Yes I am finishing up the code.

Q: will a free version be able to be used for commercial?

A: Of coarse not the free version is released under the GPL lisence so anything you use form the engine must not be used for commercial products in anyway,shape or form. With that said remember anything made with this free version of the engine must be released opensource.

Q: Will the opensource engine keep up to date with the registered?

A: Nope I want to focus on giving registered users somthing great and I cant do that if im worried about 2 diffrent versions, however I might occasionally released an update for the GPL version but still no documents for it or help.

Q: What does the registered user get?

A: Well to start the are allowed to use models,code,media for any commercial release, they also will recieve model,and code updates as well as some documentation(help) kept up to date with new code and patches.

Q: What about making maps how do u do that?

A: I wrote a small 3d map editor called ServED which allows you to load models and place them then save to the world map format.

Q: I dont have blitz plus and the server was wrote in it? anyway I can get around that?

A: well even the beginner programmer can figure out what part of the server code is blitzplus related and which part isn't just strip out the blitzplus and your all set, I would like to note however if enough intrest is shown in the registered community I will write a Blitz3d version of the server although it may require more resources then the BLitzplus version.

Thats all I have right now I will add more as they come.

dangerdave(Posted 2003) [#12]
Ckob, is this project going ahead? The servent.binarypeople link is not working?

Any updates?