Heroes of the Future : Cubemapping

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Heroes of the Future : Cubemapping

mouss38(Posted 2003) [#1]

thanks to Rob and Fredborg :)

Mustang(Posted 2003) [#2]
Hey, that looks NICE - even without any "fancy" cm effects! Great stuff!

Akat(Posted 2003) [#3]
where can i download it? seems good to test

Rob(Posted 2003) [#4]
:)))

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#5]
"picks jaw up of floor", this looks like one of the first close too AAA titles coming out floor blitz.

The cubemapping looks bloody awesome, more so than your demo rob :)

LostCargo(Posted 2003) [#6]
that looks so good!

mouss38(Posted 2003) [#7]
akat, you can't download it because the first demo is not ready now... but it comes !

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#8]
respect - that looks fantastic!

sswift(Posted 2003) [#9]
You should really add another surface to the water and set it's alpha to like 75% or so with an animated water texture so that it looks more like water and less like chrome. You want the player to think the scene looks really nice, but not go "Hey! That water's reflective!"

You don't crank the saturation on every color up to 100% just because you have color, do you? :-)

SSS(Posted 2003) [#10]
that looks amaising... really really great

Rob(Posted 2003) [#11]
No offence but my 2 cents:
I agree with sswift. This effect doesn't impress me at all, I've seen and done it all before. The trick is to use it where it will definately enhance a scene, or even give some clue of an impending attack. Give it a point, a purpose...

It can be too easy to rely on it to make things pretty, and that is a mistake.

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2003) [#12]
I agree with the sslow sssssstutter and the roblocust.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#13]
I think the Water already is about 80% transparent, watch the part on the lower left corner.

The amount of reflection of water depends on the angle that it is watched from and from the Light-sources. It can easily be fully opaque. There is an other thing that looks too chromelike: the Surface is reflecting 100 Percent of light, and even a mirror wouldn't do that, so the reflection should be a bit darker IMHO.

But I like the full reflection. Maybe you could even use diffent Transparencies depending an the Camera-Angle?

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#14]
I don't think it's even supposed to BE water. I think it's supposed to be a shiny floor, as seen in Phantasy Star Online. I agree entirely that the reflection is altogether too much. A little subtlety would go a long way.

sswift(Posted 2003) [#15]
Shiny floor huh?

Well then I guess that guy's name must be "Stumpy". :-)

Sledge(Posted 2003) [#16]

It can be too easy to rely on it to make things pretty, and that is a mistake.

Rubbish... idiot consumers go for pretty every time. Crank it up to "11"! ;)

Tracer(Posted 2003) [#17]
It looks like there's waves on that reflective bit .. so i'd say it's water.

Tracer

sswift(Posted 2003) [#18]
"Rubbish... idiot consumers go for pretty every time. Crank it up to "11"! ;)"

You know you're trying to be funny, but there's some truth to that.

Years ago I showed my school teachers an awesome demo which displayed 24 bit color gradients in the days that 256 colors were the norm, and at the same time did really polar coordinate to cartesian distortions on a hidden image which had sprites moving across it. This created a liquid like effect which was really awesome, and it had nice music to it too.

They liked it, but then they saw the windows screensaver that plotted rainbow colored lines on the screen in a spiral pattern* and they were like "oooh! ahhh!" "I like this better" and I was like "are you nuts?!".

(*Or maybe it was the one which just plotted random colored lines all over the screen. Very well could have been!)

So just cause an artist finds lens flares to be cliche, and above them doesn't mean that joe consumer who knows nothing about art won't be more impressed by them than by a more subtle glow effect more like what your eyes, rather than a camera, would actually see.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#19]
it's water, if not, where's his low legs gone :)

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#20]
I just thought it was the perspective making him look stumpy, but if it's water, I take it back. A LOT of subtlety is required. Water != Mirror.

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#21]
ok, next stage - make ripples wherever he walks :)

mouss38(Posted 2003) [#22]
yes it's a liquid... (water or anything else)
I'm working on an second texture layer (=waves)

thanks for your feelings :p

Neo Genesis10(Posted 2003) [#23]
Thats an awesome screenshot. I was looking forward to this game when it was first mentioned, and now I'm drooling even more in anticipation. While we're on the subject of cubemapping, does anyone know where to find Robs elusive demo Ive heard so much about?

Mustang(Posted 2003) [#24]
does anyone know where to find Robs elusive demo Ive heard so much about?

Link is in Rob's sig...

http://www.redflame.net/files/cubed.zip

mouss38(Posted 2003) [#25]
take a look at this :

or

www.vulturecreations.fr.st/datafiles/1011-1.gif

elseano(Posted 2003) [#26]
0.o Wow....nice effect you got there :]