Z-order and Alpha Maps

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Z-order and Alpha Maps

SabataRH(Posted 2003) [#1]
Im not sure how long this has been happening but we use to get the z-order problem when using masked textures... Mark since fixed that but now i see when using several textures loaded with the alpha flag, the zorder is chaotic.. Mesh popping in and out from behind and in front of each other in random order.

Is this recent? i havent any of my old blitz updates anymore so i cant test it on older versions...

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#2]
I have never had problems with masked textures, but alpha'ed entities (both in texture and brush level) have always been problematic. And it isn't Blitz' fault either...

On a side note:
The only company, to my knowledge, that have ever produce a hardware accelerated 3D card that handles alpha without any problems is PowerVR/Imagination Technologies.

Neochrome(Posted 2003) [#3]
iv seen this too.
have u got gforce2?

SabataRH(Posted 2003) [#4]
gf-fx5600, but tested in on several other card-types today and got the same results..

Ive noticed them in several other commercial games as well...

Mark can you verify a fix or 'work around' for this please?

skidracer(Posted 2003) [#5]
[faq 32] http://www.blitzbasic.co.nz/faq/faq_entry.php?id=32

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#6]
Are you talking about masked Textures or Alpha Textures? I mean - Flag Bit 2 or 4? With masked ones it should work without Problems. Alpha has always been a Problem and was the Reason why Bit 4 Masks were implemented.

If you want to fix Alpha Z-Order Problems then have a look at MasterBeakers Z-Order locking Method that was revealed in the Thread "pretty realistic Grass", but don't forget to mention him in the Credits.