Character Animation Discussion

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Character Animation Discussion

Techlord(Posted 2003) [#1]
Animation. I have decided to go with 'Bone' Character animation vs Mesh deformation animation (ie MD2). The reasons for my decision is based on the application of 1) B3D format, 2) External Animation Data (.BVH), 3) Ragdoll Physics, 4) Realtime Inverse Kinematics, 5) Interchangeable/Segmented Mesh, 6) Level Of Detail.

All of these features can be integrated together. My concern is using real-time Inverse Kinetics to generate animation for Bipedal and non-pedal characters. Any and all input is valued.

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#2]
Realtime inverse kinematics can actually be a variation on ragdoll physics. ie. ragdollify a limb, set gravity to like 1/2 it's normal value, and move around the last point(tip of hand/foot/head). This can even work with collisions. So basically, once you have ragdoll, kinematics is just a little extension.

Techlord(Posted 2003) [#3]
bot builder,

Sounds really cool, would definately love to see that in action! What is the performance impact of using such a method?

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#4]
not quite sure. depends on your system of course. I would recomend verlet personnaly. very fast. the actual integrator is just three shiftlefts, and four subtractions. The links between the bones/particles take a bit more power. not to much though. On my system, I can handle like 2000 constraints, 1000 particles in 23 ms. My system is not however completly ready for use. still at the point of getting my own custom collisions to work.

Shouldn't be TOO hard to do. Me/miracle/dmc/bouncer/etc. can probably help you if you want to attempt verlet physics for ragdoll/kinematics. Right now I'm swamped in non-blitz work. *sigh* back to work.

Techlord(Posted 2003) [#5]
bot,

I will be using a Verlet Physics System to manage Character Animation and Physics. A fusion of Biovision Hierarchy Animation (BVH) and Verlets. I desire my Verlet system to use Blitz Collision. I will not need 2000 contstraints, 1000 particles although I would like to handle such a demand without severe performance impacts.

I have read Gamasutra's Article: Advanced Character Physics(3x TBH). However, I'm having difficulty with the math and terminology involved. A 'Verlet Physics for Dummies' Book would be great. Any assistance you can provide in this department would be truly appreciated.

Techlord(Posted 2003) [#6]
bot,

I'm curious as to why you are creating custom collisions for verlet physics?