Visual Basic VS Blitz

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Visual Basic VS Blitz

LostCargo(Posted 2003) [#1]
Im a visual basic programmer by trade, and have poked around in visual basic in relation to DirectX.

Has anyone come up with a good benchmark tool/process for benchmarking speed? I have been enjoying Blitzbasic and am very pleased with it (im not changing 3d languages dont worry). I just want to know if there is something out there that could tell me the pros and cons of blitz vs vb.
I know vb is more complicated, and definitely bloatwear - so that one is pretty much resolved.

Any thoughts from any VB programmers out there?

Rottbott(Posted 2003) [#2]
Ergh. I'd hate to try and use VB for any large complicated application.

As far as I'm aware they're pretty similar speed-wise at doing 3D. I suspect Blitz may actually be faster just at language and maths stuff.

But I've never done any proper tests so I'm not certain.

Zenith(Posted 2003) [#3]
Well, being it was concepted as a games language, Blitz is far superior in that department -- Are there any VB games anyway? :)

Okay.. Google came up with a ton of searches. My bad. :D

Then again, most VB games are tic tac toe and shizzle. Being that, VB was made for software applications, so I thought.

dynaman(Posted 2003) [#4]
If you want to do games development in VB take a look at truevision3d or revolution3d.

Blitz still wins over those in my opinion since it is much easier to get stuff installed on a user's PC.

LostCargo(Posted 2003) [#5]
oh i agree. having to do calculations for turning a parentt child set of meshes of way better. Most of the features im looking for in my games require multithreading and database/network connectivity. Unfortunately blitz doesnt have any native way of doing that. We have written a dll library that connects to a database that we can use for blitz but its really not what im looking for.

I doubt though i could produce products and test concepts out as fast with VB. thats why i love blitz so much.

dynaman thanks for the tip on truvision/revolution. ill check it out.

Dave(Posted 2003) [#6]
For games's (including 3D Editors, etc) blitz is best. For everything else VB is best...

Brandon(Posted 2003) [#7]
I used to program in VB before moving to DarkBasic and finally Blitz3D. And I must agree, for game development Blitz is better because of it's speed and flexibility. It seems that in VB you have more control over DirectX, but I'd have to go with Blitz.

bradford6(Posted 2003) [#8]
for 3d games on MS platform. Blitz3D is the best.

for applications(GUI, Network,DBASE, etc). Python (Wxwindows & Boa Constructor) is the Best.

Blitz is fast, easy to learn and stable. It does not have some of the advanced features of other game dev packages, but what good are they if you can't really use them.

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#9]
Shizzle? Is that some kind of Snoop Dogg game?

Zenith(Posted 2003) [#10]
No Fo' Shizzle is my hizzle, you bizzle, don't you know the rizzle?

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#11]
Methinks you've been on the pizzle...

Neochrome(Posted 2003) [#12]
im a VB Coder and i sucessfully wrote a VB DirextX game, tho i didn't go into 3D games, Way to complex! but it is faster by about 10% of that of Blitz. you can bench mark these on win2000 you need to have a pause function tho

Id stick with BB tho!

darklordz(Posted 2003) [#13]
B3D VS VB? No Contest thats like putting Bill Gates VS van Damme. Congrats u won the dumbest topic award...

Rottbott(Posted 2003) [#14]
Bill Gates VS van Damme

Blimey. Imagine that.

FlameDuck(Posted 2003) [#15]
No Contest thats like putting Bill Gates VS van Damme.
Surely that would be Bill Gates vs. Mark Sibly? In anycase I have one word for you "standalone binary" (that's two words, idiot - Ed).

LostCargo(Posted 2003) [#16]
darklordz
Its nice to see that the village idiot is getting out more often

Dave(Posted 2003) [#17]
actually the exe isn't fully standalone, it just uses library's that are part of windows by default...

_Skully(Posted 2003) [#18]
Such as DirectX and the Gui...

VB is bloated code.. If you want a high level language to make games in thats not Blitz then look at Delphi, its probably THE most optimized language out there and has some nice 3D libs out there.. I'm much too lazy so I code in Blitz ;)

Dave, Your links dont appear to be working...

BTW: I just bought Quill 3D... nice work. Any updates for it, I cant see any kind of support link on the Igigcon site.

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#19]
I used VB, and VB is terrible for writing 3D games in. The 3d raycaster type engines I was able to make in VB were as buggy as the ones I made in QuickBasic. Blah! VB is not for games. VB is for apps.

Wulde(Posted 2004) [#20]
Well i am outing me here as a VB User and a Blitz Lover. I try to make 3D applications in VB with help of the Revolution 3D (atm still sort of buggy) engine. In my vip Opinion VB is kind of superior to Blitz when the User has a professional Programming Background (software engineering, structured code). Its is really helpful when it comes to large applications. But it beats Blitz in no way when it comes to rapid prototyping and Fun Programming and of course understanding the principles of 3D Programming in General. This is only a quick response its in no way much elaborated. So flame me..

Prost
Wulde

Qube(Posted 2004) [#21]
VB is suited best to speedy app developing (bloomin good at it too)

Blitz is suited best to speedy game creation (bloomin good at it too)

Nuff said :)

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#22]
pretty much what qube and wulde said. VB is plenty capable of making games, but it's not nearly as easy as blitz. I don't know about the speed, but I have seen some pretty impressive DX demos with VB though.

But for action games and 3D games... I'd have to go with blitz.

Kanati

darklordz(Posted 2004) [#23]
this opic is pointless, yess vb is used in app dev alot because of the massive amount of noobs in the bizz, and it's easy of use. A lot of data management systems use vb frontends. But in the end VB is worthless....

real programming starts with stuff a bit more depenancy-less....

call me a fool but i jest you not!

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#24]
I'll call you a bit more than a fool Darklordz. I've made a rather pleasant living off of VB / SQL for quite some time. VB is far from worthless, and far from a "noob" language. But then there's a lot of stuck up ignorant C/C++ fanatics out there too that think that the ONLY language starts and ends with the letter C.

If you truly believe what you are spouting you are indeed a fool, naive, and ignorant. Thank you. Move along.

Kanati

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#25]
CLAN WARS!!

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#26]

darklordz(Posted 2004) [#27]
xmlspy, blitz doesnt compile modular it compiles the entire engine into the exe....

kanati. I used to be a vb man myself, but as i said vb is used alot because of the fact your average joe aka noob doesnt have the time or knowhow to getinto a more complex lang. And as you said u use vb / sql well fine but what about the mdac package or the so called runtimes required with each distribution what a pain! And ss for the frontends, usualy datamanagemens systes are written in c variants and use vb frontends for fast customisation and flexibility. true but that doesnt mean that it can compete with other...

now i can move along...

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#28]
And if you write a C program doing the same thing it doesn't use the mdac? Yer talkin out yer buttocks.

Kanati

darklordz(Posted 2004) [#29]
well looks like a typical case "not budging" on both sides....you have your opinion and i have mine leave it @ that. And in the future leave the argumentative attacks on my person, in your pocket and come up with something constructive.....I read in a book somewhere, anger replied with anger does not resolve anything but you are giving me a gift of negativity and i cannot accept it...

goodday!

dynaman(Posted 2004) [#30]
> but as i said vb is used alot because of the fact your average joe aka noob

If you really don't want angry responses then quit using inflamatory lines like the one above.

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#31]
EGGGGGG ZACTLY!

Here's a nicely wrapped gift of negativity. With a pretty bow on top.

Kanati

Forbidden(Posted 2004) [#32]
I have used Blitz and Vb.

I must say for a the ease of use, I use blitz over Vb for creating game applications.

howver, for some applications I still prefer Vb over blitz.

And yes C++ is powerful, but it may take you 3 times as long to write then VB will.

Vb is powerful, dont say it is garbage. And Vb can get complicated when dealing with APi just as C++ does.

any languge syntext can be learned by working with it a little bit.

So In th End it comes down to, "what are you trying to do", and what tool is best for the job. Vb,blitz,C++,PHP-CGI/SQl are all tools. We use them all for a diffrent job. =)

AbbaRue(Posted 2004) [#33]
Once you start using the winapi dll funcions with blitz3D, there isn't much that can't be done in Blitz3D.
Get a hold of a copy of masm32 and it's examples from the following website.
http://win32asm.cjb.net/
Then look at the examples. These can easily be converted to work with Blitz3D.

One question I have is. Has anyone made a wrapper for DirectX that works with blitz3D?

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#34]
Did you see the source code section on that site?? Stuff like how to shut down a computer at a specific time, hide processes, that stuff is just naughty.

dynaman(Posted 2004) [#35]
> Has anyone made a wrapper for DirectX that works with blitz3D?

Mark Sibly did...

(OK - cheap shot on my part I admit)

Kev(Posted 2004) [#36]

CodeD
Did you see the source code section on that site?? Stuff like how to shut down a computer at a specific time, hide processes, that stuff is just naughty.

depends on the reason why this type of code is used, i use this in some form for anticrack protection in blitzlockit.

karmacomposer(Posted 2004) [#37]
As both a Blitz3d programmer and a vb6 programmer, I like them both.

It is simply easier to create a game with blutz because most of the engine work is done for you, tools exist (cshop) for level creation (I'm talking 3d here) and it runs fast and smooth.

However, a good programmer is a good programmer is a good programmer. I am NOT a good programmer. A good programmer can make even, ahem, Dark Basic shine (lol), and, likewise, if you are a good c++/c programmer, you can write your own ticket.

Now, to address something that was said and NO ONE picked up on it - I thought that Blitz 3D did indeed have network connectivity features. It can also read and write files - and that means you can indeed create a database for a game - I am, in fact, a database programmer - which is why I love vb6 - because you use Microsoft Access to create the database and vb6 to access and use it.

However, I cannot see why Blitz3d cannot also read and write from a database (hey, let's see if we can make it read and write to an access database - (let's all say oooohhhhh) my goodness - that would be a lot of power).

Just a thought.

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#38]
I think somebody just wrote a database connectivity thing for Blitz. Its around on the forums somewhere (might be on page 2 by now).

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#39]
There's two. One's out now and uses ODBC DSNs to make the connection. And there's mine, which nobody has seen (I'm trying to be like Mark and Bmax. :)) I just ran into a nasty little bugger that delayed me releasing it yesterday. Should be today or tomorrow.

Kanati