TWIN X

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/TWIN X

Spacemonkey(Posted 2003) [#1]
Are any of you familiar width twin X files ?

Skitchy(Posted 2003) [#2]
Are you talking about the .x files that LightBulb outputs? If so then I made the term up :)
Basically, both files contain identical geometry (hence twin), but one file has the UV coords for the original textures (+ the proper references to the original texture names) and the other has the UV's (+ reference) for the lightmap.

The advantages are :-

- You can re-combine them into whatever format you like - ASCII .x is an easy format to read and parse.

- You can put BOTH meshes in the same position to get the effect of a lightmapped mesh in a 3D engine that doesn't have a second UV channel (DB,3DRAD). This will take some creative programming, but it can be done.

Hope that helps you :)

Spacemonkey(Posted 2003) [#3]
Ok, when I export a *.B3D file for LightBulb, it not correct exported with texture, but if I export it in a *.x file, it okay, but then the light map is I another file, and I don’t know how to redo the light map again.

Skitchy(Posted 2003) [#4]
I've fixed the wierd texture export problem. It was due to the need for a custom texture-detection function which was occasionally unreliable. However, as soon as GetBrushTexture() appeared I re-wrote the exporters. They run about 100x faster too :) Be aware that ALL surfaces MUST have a texture for export to succeed. If you want areas of flat colour (for which you might normally use diffuse or vertex colour), just use a 2x2 texture.

You can download the updated .exe here
http://www.skitchy.fsnet.co.uk/lb115.zip

Just unzip and drag the file into your LightBulb installation directory (overwrite the existing one).

If for some reason you prefer to use .x files, get a copy of Decorator (its free). It can combine 2 .x into 1 .b3d as I described.

Spacemonkey(Posted 2003) [#5]
Thank you, you’re a lifesaver

Rob(Posted 2003) [#6]
I like TWIX bars

darklordz(Posted 2003) [#7]
OW NO THE POOP POSTER...AGAIN..

Rob(Posted 2003) [#8]
If you have a problem please <deleted> off :)