cubemapping

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/cubemapping

mag.(Posted 2003) [#1]
Anyone can give a general explaination of what cubemapping is and what it does. Thanks

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#2]
It basically allows you to apply a six sided texture (in the form of a cube) to an entity. Why would that be useful? Well as far as i can see, if you've ever used sphereical reflection mapping, you know the textures co-ords change according to where the camera is, giving the looks of a metalic shine or what not, but that is only a flat texture.

Say you took a point in your world and rendered the six direction, up, down, left, right, front and back, and used these as the cube map, and applied these to an entity, you would have a entity that is reflecting the real world enviroment. Pretty nifty :)

Rogue Vector(Posted 2003) [#3]
Cube mapped textures can change dynamically. (i.e. in real time - as the player interacts with the scene)

In other words, the cube mapped texture updates itself.
So, if something new is added to the scene, this is added to the surface reflection.

RV

mag.(Posted 2003) [#4]

took a point in your world and rendered the six direction

What is the best way to do this. A little confuse. Can give any sample code..(if anyone have time)

Rogue Vector(Posted 2003) [#5]
The only code that I'm aware of is found at:

Blitz 3D Manual\3D Category\Texture\SetCubeFace()

RV

mag.(Posted 2003) [#6]
I get the picture now
Thanks..

ps: really slow on my mechine ;(

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#7]
To reduce the slowdown, try and only render one face per loop or only update the cubemapwhen you need to :)