Blitz3d light

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Blitz3d light

mag.(Posted 2003) [#1]
I found that blitz3d light is quite limited.(May be because I don't know)

I can't make the sportlight edge sharp like sport light for a holywood star ;)

I can't make the light over expose

Any one know the trick..

Thanks..

Sledge(Posted 2003) [#2]
You would use a(nother) texture for an effect like that... don't know about anyone else, but I rarely use a single DX light.

smilertoo(Posted 2003) [#3]
You cant see light, you have to fake it if you want the light to be visible. Easiest is a transparent cone.

Sledge(Posted 2003) [#4]
Ha ha, I misread... thought you wanted a star-shaped spotlight! Listen to John.

GfK(Posted 2003) [#5]
DX lights have their use. Using just one will give depth to an entire 3D scene if you set it up properly.

You can't give spotlights 'sharp' edges - thats not the way DirectX lights work. If all three vertices of a polygon are within the lightrange, the polygon is lit. Otherwise it is unlit, which is why you always get an 'angular' effect when using DX lighting.

Even though Sledge misread your question, his answer was still correct - you'd be better off using a texture and fiddling with the TextureBlend settings to give the effect of a spotlight.

If you want to see the beam of light emitting from the spotlight, then John Devoy's reply would be useful also.

Rottbott(Posted 2003) [#6]
You can't give spotlights 'sharp' edges - thats not the way DirectX lights work. If all three vertices of a polygon are within the lightrange, the polygon is lit. Otherwise it is unlit, which is why you always get an 'angular' effect when using DX lighting.

I thought it did it per vertex rather than per triangle?

Mustang(Posted 2003) [#7]
DX7 lighting is per vertex... in theory, you COULD have sharp edge using vertex lighting, if you mesh is really dense and constructed so that it is "circular"... but of course that's a special case etc.

mag.(Posted 2003) [#8]
Is this realtime render? the light look glow. Really cool effect.

This is what I mean by 'over expose'.

Sledge(Posted 2003) [#9]
The "over exposure" effect is known as a corona... it is usual to use transparent textures to create them (the rest is light-mapping, which shades objects and lets them cast static shadows via yet more textures).

LostCargo(Posted 2003) [#10]
its a sprite

Sledge(Posted 2003) [#11]
Or a quad.

Rob(Posted 2003) [#12]
Which is a sprite made of a quad.

darklordz(Posted 2003) [#13]
:p lol

Sledge(Posted 2003) [#14]
They're not the same. Sprites don't reflect properly in mirror planes*; custom-made quads do. Lol right back, smartass ;)

*Or at least they didn't, last build I used 'em in. If they've been fixed that's even better (although I still "win", so ner).