Simple code has outwitted me :(

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Simple code has outwitted me :(

Verminaard(Posted 2003) [#1]
can anyone tell me what is wrong with this code?

Function move_player()
playerx# = 0
playery# = 0
turn# = 0

If KeyDown(17) = True
playerx# = playerx# + .3
Else If KeyDown(31) = True
playerx# = playerx# - .3
EndIf

If KeyDown(30) = True Then
playery# = -.3
Else If KeyDown(32) = True Then
playery# = .3
EndIf

turn# = MouseXSpeed()

TurnEntity player,0,-turn#,0
MoveEntity player,playery#,0,playerx#

End Function

it is meant to be the start of a movment engine i am playing with, but the turning via the mouse doesnt work. It works fine as long as you turn clockwise, but when you turn counter-clockwise, it will only turn as far as the original position it started (ie: 0 degrees) and wont turn any further. i have tried adding the lines:

If turn# < 0 Then turn# = (360 - turn#)
If turn# > 360 Then turn# = (turn# - 360)

but that doesnt seem to help either. Can anyone help? If you want me to post the main code as well, i will. thanks
~V~

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#2]
MouseXSpeed has to be used twice in a loop to be effective i think. Best check the docs with that one. The problem you might be having is blitz turns using zero as the start rotation. th elimits are -180 to 180. so try adjusting the rotations for that :)

GfK(Posted 2003) [#3]
The problem is that the mouse is hitting the edge of the screen. When that happens, MouseXSpeed() will return 0.

The best solution is to reset the mouse position to the centre of the screen each loop with:
MoveMouse GraphicsWidth()/2,GraphicsHeight()/2

sswift(Posted 2003) [#4]
Which really sucks for a windowed game. :-)

You need to be able to detect when your window doesn't have focus anymore in a windowed game if you want to use this method. That way the user can alt-tab out.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#5]
That's true. But you can add a simple Pause Function to the game. Make shure the user will know the pause-key.

Verminaard(Posted 2003) [#6]
genius,
i added the movemouse code and it works perfectly... thanks guys :D Now, on to my 30 million other problems lol
~V~