BlitzGL Virus / Zarch

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/BlitzGL Virus / Zarch

Vorderman(Posted 2003) [#1]
As mentioned in another thread, there was interest in a version of Zarch / Virus. I have some code I wrote a while ago that recreates this game, with the scrolly landscape, thrust particles, landing pad etc..., and it has a working 2 player network mode, but I didn't get around to the shooting part of it.

I don't think it has map border checking either so will probably crash if you fly outside of the map area.

Anyway, it's a 550kb ZIP file, and I don't have a website to host it on at the moment.

Can anyone host this file for me so others can download it and have a play or possibly even finish it off?

Thanks in advance.

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#2]
Send it to me at XXX and I'll put it up!

PaulJG(Posted 2003) [#3]
Vorderman, tried emailing you - but didnt seem to get through ?.

Its p.gerfen@...

If Fredborg cant host, I've got some space going spare.

Thanks !.

Vorderman(Posted 2003) [#4]
Hi,

Paul: I did try email you 3 times yesterday, but the mails keep getting returned. I've mailed you again just now with the ZIP file attached, just in case it works today.

Fredborg: thanks very much - I've just mailed you the ZIP file in case Paul can't receive it.

Thanks again.

PaulJG(Posted 2003) [#5]
Thanks Vorderman, got it !.

This is great stuff, why havent you finshed it !!!!.

Love the stormy effects, makes you believe that your gonna fly straight into a twister.

I've hosted it for as long as my bandwidth can hold out if anyone else fancys a look - compliments of Vorderman. :)

www.gamedigits.com/GLZarch.zip

rsbrowndog(Posted 2003) [#6]
Why not upload it to the Blitz Showcase site?

Plenty of bandwidth there...

Cheers,

Ryan

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#7]
You can get it here as well: www.frecle.net/GLZarch/GLZarch.zip

Off to try it now :)

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#8]
Oh, some userlib files are missing, could you post them or send them to me, so that I can include them in the archive?

PaulJG(Posted 2003) [#9]
Fredborg, seemed to work fine on mine..

Do you have the Blitz OpenGL files installed ?

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#10]
Nope :) Where are they? It's hard to find stuff, when the search function is broken...

Difference(Posted 2003) [#11]
I think they are the OpenGL Direct header files, there is a link in my signature.

Vorderman(Posted 2003) [#12]
you probably need to copy the GLDirect decls files to your Blitz userlibs folder for it to work..?

Vorderman(Posted 2003) [#13]
you probably need to copy the GLDirect decls files to your Blitz userlibs folder for it to work..?

Vorderman(Posted 2003) [#14]

Vorderman(Posted 2003) [#15]
Hey, my first triple post. Stupid mouse.

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#16]
Yeah, I've got it working now :) Nice!

Vorderman(Posted 2003) [#17]
Cheers - can anyone post up a couple of screenies?

PaulJG(Posted 2003) [#18]
There ya go.

FlameDuck(Posted 2003) [#19]
Hey, that looks real neat. Might just grab that! :o>

Vorderman(Posted 2003) [#20]
Oooo, it looks nice in screenshots.

Thanks Paul.

Hope someone finds a use for it.

By the way, notice that the flames from the thrusters scorch the ground if you burn the same area for a while. I got a bit carried away with that small touch!

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#21]
I get an object does not exist error in

Function FUNC_RenderLandscape(c.TYPE_craft)

at the line

h1# = map(basex+x, basez+z-1)\height#

whenever I move for more than 10 seconds in any direction

CyberHeater(Posted 2003) [#22]
Same here...

Vorderman(Posted 2003) [#23]
You're probably reaching the edge of the map area - there is no boundary checking so if the landscape tries to render outside the map area it will crash. You need to stay well within the map area.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2003) [#24]
Oh my God, that rules! Looks even cooler if you full-screen it!

BlitzSupport(Posted 2003) [#25]
I know the way it was done originally is cute in a retro sort of way, but I always wondered how Zeewolf 2 would look if the ol' Amiga could have rendered the landscape further out. I *love* running it with these two mods:

· In FUNC_RenderLandscape (), set divisions to 30;
· Leave Graphics call as Graphics GlWinW,GlWinH only.

To me, this looks totally stunning! Beautiful work, Vorderman!

Vorderman(Posted 2003) [#26]
I'll have to try that...

Vorderman(Posted 2003) [#27]
Woah! That looks pretty good! Handles the number of polys too.

Good old openGL.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2003) [#28]
Looks lovely, Vorderman. Anyone tried running it in Blitz3D?
It runs for a while then crashes with 'Object does not exist'. I can't track the problem down. 'elp!

Yan(Posted 2003) [#29]
LOL...

This will save anyone from having to actually read this thread...;op

hackedglzarch.zip ~10KB

Great stuff Vorderman :o)

YAN

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2003) [#30]
Boy is my face red ; )
I've read it now, honest 0:)

Cheers Yan

Stevie G(Posted 2003) [#31]
Vorderman,

Good stuff. I'm not really up on graphics internals but I take it OpenGL is an alternative to DirectX? What is it that OpenGL is doing here that I can't do in Blitz3d?

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2003) [#32]
Stevie G-

I was just going to ask the same question. OpenGL is a direct X alternative, but doesn't do so much stuff as DirectX (e.g: sound), it's purely for GFX. I think OpenGL is available on more platforms than is DirectX, and one obvious advantage to using these libs is that you don't need to use B3D.

Same question:
What is it that OpenGL is doing here that I can't do in Blitz3d?

PaulJG(Posted 2003) [#33]
I think you'll find it was programmed in Blitz Plus (which doesnt have any 3d support) - not B3D.

Besides.. OpenGL does give you some nice little extras that blitz is currently missing. (you also get full control to take the graphics rendering pipeline down to the very bare bones)

I like OpenGL, programmed quite a few little bits and pieces in it.. but unless your a programming god - its so much easier to use blitz and all the prebuilt functions.

Vorderman(Posted 2003) [#34]
No, it was programmed in B3D - I don't have BlitzPlus.

It uses Peter's DirectGL userlib to render using OpenGL, which allows much more control at a per-poly level, meaning I can render a small square of the landscape very quickly.

Recreating this scrolling-landscape-square in Blitz is very tricky to do - I did try but couldn't find a way while still maintaining speed.

Using OpenGL it becomes trivially easy.

Of course B3D has many advantages to most of us hobby coders, but I love using OpenGL simply because it's such a user friendly but immensely powerful system.

DirectX is probably more up to date and powerful, but it is utterly confusing and convoluted - at least DX6 was - I've never had the inclination to look at Dx7, 8 or 9.

Vorderman(Posted 2003) [#35]
Ah - just tried Paul's Blitz version - very nice indeed. I tried using mesh modifiers to update the landscape, but couldn't get a decent result.

Excellent work!

Stevie G(Posted 2003) [#36]
You'd be referring to my version tough guy!!

Vorderman(Posted 2003) [#37]
I was?

Sorry :)