Autosmooth from 3ds

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Autosmooth from 3ds

mag.(Posted 2003) [#1]
We all know that the file from 3ds always have a wrong smooth. I download Autosmooth(Peter Scheutz) from Code Archives and it's work. The only problem is that its cannot do for LoadAnimMesh() object. And also sometimes it has memory error when the file is big.

Does anyone know any other solution. Actually I just want to unsmooth everything.

Another thing, I probably can code it myself if I know what is the factor that make those 2 triangle edge appear to have smooth and what not

Anyone know..

Thanks a lot for your help

Klaas(Posted 2003) [#2]
The edges apear smooth because they share there Vertex ... a 3ds imported cube does have 8 Vertex, a Blitz generated has 24.
The generated has 24 because each cube side have there own set of vertex (6x4) and there own normal.

3dstudio stores the geometric data slightly diffrent then blitz. It stores information about vertex an smoothing groups ... when rebuilding the mesh from 3ds, a vertex that is in more than one smoothing group has to be created for each group because they need to have more than one normal ... well, hard to explane ... 3d studio splits the information about position and orientation. Position is a vertex ... smoothing group holds the information about the orientation (normal).

If you are using 3D Max then try "Pipeline" from http://www.onigirl.com ... a great exporter plug-in !!!

sorry for my bad english :-)

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#3]
Pretty sure a blitz generated cube has 8 vertexs, 12 tri and one surface :)

Klaas(Posted 2003) [#4]
Try it !!!

Graphics3D 800,600

c = CreateCube()
Print "surfaces: "+CountSurfaces(c)
s = GetSurface(c,1)
Print "vertex: "+CountVertices(s)
WaitKey

Koriolis(Posted 2003) [#5]
Yep Ross C, Klaas is right, if there was only 12 vertices then (vertices being shared) the normals would be shared and when lighted the cube faces wouldn't appear to be flat.