Render to Texture / UVW unwrap

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Render to Texture / UVW unwrap

John-Robin(Posted 2003) [#1]
In Max 5, with the Render to Texture option, everything
works just fine. The only problem the manual can't solve is:

If I export it to .3DS or even better to .B3D, the texture is mapped in a simple planar way, not the coordinates that MAX defined with the 'automatic UVW unwrapper'.

HOW can I export the unwrapped model correctly ??

Your help is very much appreciated!

John-Robin

shamanenCoder(Posted 2003) [#2]
hi john-robin!

i use unwrap yet and it works perfectly!

bye,
shamanencoder

p.s. special thx to rudi smoke for all the sweet dreams! always still in memory for this times

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#3]
Since our last caller couldn't be bothered to mention HOW he gets it to work perfectly, I'll explain.

Whenever you change a setting on the Render to Texture modifier, the Texure channel will revert to 3. ARRRRGHHHH!!!! WHY!!!????? Sorry, primal scream over.

So when you're done changing settings, make sure you set the Texture Channel or UV Channel back to 1 again. Then everything should be fine. If you're still having problems, save the UV's from the right panel beneath the stack once the Unwrap UVW modifier has been automatically applied.

Then if anything goes wrong, you can apply a UVW Unwrap modifier to your object, select channel 1 and Load the uv coordinates you saved earlier.

John-Robin(Posted 2003) [#4]
Hi Sybixsus!

Thanks for the tip, I got it working indeed after saving the UV's and reload them in the Unwrap UVW modifier.

very much appreciated!

John-Robin

Neo Genesis10(Posted 2003) [#5]
While we're on the subject, does anyone know of a half-decent way of 'snapshotting' your 3D model in order to design the texture in the first place? I used a simple render, but since areas of the model become "bunched up" on the texture, it makes for ugly textures.

EDIT: I'm using 3DS Max 4.2

HNPhan(Posted 2003) [#6]
texporter

Akat(Posted 2003) [#7]
try using B3D pipeline - and set the material ID = 2... work just fine for me... i dont have a time to unwrap it, so render to texture seem usefull