3DSMAX Biped

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/3DSMAX Biped

ACordero(Posted 2003) [#1]
Greetings.
I'm having a lot of trouble exporting a biped from 3DS Max 5.0 to Blitzbasic. I know the best way is to export it to MD2, but it is really hard to find working and stable MD2 exporters for 3D Studio. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Taking another aproach to the problem, does anybody knows how to convert a biped mesh in 3D Studio to a key-framed mesh.
Thanks.

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#2]
MD2 is NOT the best way to export anything from Max. Either use B3dPipeline or Ultimate Unwrap3D (max exporter) to export to B3D file format.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2003) [#3]
You can also use Valve's SMD exporter -then via Milkshape to .b3d - I've found this a straight forward and reliable way of getting biped/physique characters from Max 5 to Blitz.
I didn't think that b3dPipeline does biped/physique yet - has there been an update ?

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#4]
B3d Pipeline does Biped just fine. It only uses skin, but I can't imagine anyone would choose Skin over Physique when you can't have weighted vertices anyway.

Akat(Posted 2003) [#5]
weighted vertices are not welcome in B3D - later

podperson(Posted 2003) [#6]
I'm confused: surely Physique is preferable to Skin, but Physique certainly uses weighted vertices.

Edit: I note that you not only need to use Skin but choose rigid (i.e. non-weighted) vertices.

Also note: MD2 may be less than ideal in many ways, but it does work and it allows you to animate using any tools you like, until someone writes an exporter that supports Biped / Physique properly.

RetroBooster(Posted 2003) [#7]
podperson:
but Physique certainly uses weighted vertices.

See that button that says rigid over there? ;)
Give it a try...

Rob(Posted 2003) [#8]
MD2 is the worst way.

Rottbott(Posted 2003) [#9]
For a start MD2s are a lot slower than B3Ds.

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#10]
until someone writes an exporter that supports Biped / Physique properly.

You mean apart from the b3d pipeline that has already been mentioned?

Gabriel(Posted 2003) [#11]
I'm confused: surely Physique is preferable to Skin, but Physique certainly uses weighted vertices.

Matter of opinion, surely? Personally I find skin 100x easier to use than Physique. I'm uncertain what you mean when you say use. Both Skin and Physique SUPPORT weighted vertices. Neither REQUIRES them.

I note that you not only need to use Skin but choose rigid (i.e. non-weighted) vertices.

Well Blitz only supports rigid vertices, so what did you expect? It's neither a limitation of Skin, 3dsMax nor B3d Pipeline. It's a function which hasn't been implemented in Blitz. It's been requested quite a lot, so I don't hold out much hope any more.

weighted vertices are not welcome in B3D

Eh?? What possible reason would you have for not wanting them? I can see why someone wouldn't care if they were implemented, but I can't for the life of me see why anyone would specifically want them NOT implemented.