Hiding the Black Box

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Hiding the Black Box

Odds On(Posted 2003) [#1]
For an application I'm making, I want to completely remove the black box.. I don't even want to see it for a split second which is what happens when hiding it with BlitzSys and similar libs.

I'd also like to keep the graphics window hidden and in its new position once I call the Graphics3D command. At the moment, when you call the Graphics3D command the window unhides itself if it was hidden and recenters itself on the screen. I don't want to hide or reposition the window after the graphics mode has been set... I want to configure the window and show it once it's ready.

Neo Genesis10(Posted 2003) [#2]
Wait for BlitzMax... there is currently no way of getting around this problem with B3D.

Rob(Posted 2003) [#3]
BlitzPlus has no black box. But I assume you need 3D?

Odds On(Posted 2003) [#4]
Yea I need 3D... No way I'm waiting for BlitzMAX, that'd be stupid :P

The black box isn't my main concern.. I can cover it with a splash screen if necessary. I want to be able to apply a mask (For WinAMP style skins) to the graphics window and reposition it without the user seeing. The graphics window could be quite big so a splash screen won't cover it.

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#5]
What's so wrong with that little black box that shows in about 1 second? If you look at other games, then a lot others as I've noticed also has that box. And, btw, what's BlitzMax? What features will it have, and will it incase it's 3D be compatible with Blitz3D source files? And will it be free for us current B3D users?

Ken Lynch(Posted 2003) [#6]
And, btw, what's BlitzMax?

Oh no! Someone mentioned BlitzMax. Will people please refrain from mentioning it, it only confuses people.

To answer, BlitzMax will be Blitz3D's big brother - but it is a looooong way off AFIK, so don't hold your breath waiting for it. There is a lot of speculation about it but noone except Mark really knows what will be in it and when it will be ready.

Odds On(Posted 2003) [#7]
Waiting to buy BlitzMAX instead of using Blitz3d because you want feature X is like waiting to buy a hover car so you can do a loop instead of using a normal car.. the chances are both will exist at some point but the question is when, and will you be able to do what you thought you'd be able to?

Anyway, back on topic :P

That little black box just doesn't look professional in an application.. hard to explain, it just makes it feel like it was written in a game engine.

Matt2222(Posted 2003) [#8]
WHAT IS BLITZ MAX?
Why is it going to be so great, and when is it being released?
Thanks,
-Matt

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#9]
one of the reasons it will "be so great" is it is supposedly running on the openGL engine as apposed to direct x, I think. There will also be other features. I guess you have to assume it will be much better, since it won't be an upgrade. As Ken Lynch says, don't hold your breath.