Halos Physics/Vert Engine

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Halos Physics/Vert Engine

LostCargo(Posted 2003) [#1]
Does anyone know how to resolve the problem with the physics engine 'falling through' things.
Ie. In the ragdoll demo, if the ragdoll lands on the cube, some of its body parts pass through. this happens after it has been lying there for a few seconds.
The ball demo also allows balls to be forced inside each other.

Halo, In your original compiled demo, the physics seemed to be more rigid. Did you change anything in particular before you distrbuted?

RexRhino(Posted 2003) [#2]
If I remember correctly (it has been a while since I looked at the demo), none of the vertex fall through the cube, only the lines. Having wrote my own vertex code, I can tell you that it would be very difficult to make collision on the lines.

However, you wouldn't really have a ragdoll like that in your game. You would create more body-sized objects.

But even the pros have the same problem. There were quite a few times playing Hitman 2 that a dead body was partially through a wall or something.

LostCargo(Posted 2003) [#3]
rex. I fully expect the lines to fall through but at times some vertexes will be inside one another. In the ball example you can push balls inside each other. this is the issue i am looking at.
I just want to know how to resolve it since i want to use the code, or write something similar for use in a vehichle engine.

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#4]
Well, halo's system isn't really the greatest system(no offense) and your thinking of using it for vehicle physics????? dmc already has a really nice system with no fall-through problems. in my hard-to use system it is mathamatically impossible to fall through collideable objects(so far). Halos system would I believe, die under the high velocities of a car sim. definitly use miracles as a base, or simply us dmcs' already done car system.

darklordz(Posted 2003) [#5]
eeeuuuw it's all sticky in here........

LostCargo(Posted 2003) [#6]
bot builder. dmc's is the vw demo?

Al Mackey(Posted 2003) [#7]
Yes, but dodn't DMC distribute his with the stipulation that works based off of it must be released with source in the forum? You might have to work out a deal with him if you want to use it in a closed-source game.

LostCargo(Posted 2003) [#8]
Al,
i have looked through his code. It seems very comprehensive. But i think i will end up writting my own vertlet stuff for vehicles. Some of the implementation isnt really what i am looking for. I have a really good method for dealing with driving physics, i just need to incorporate some vertlet stuff for wheels and propper collisions for realistic crashes, and bumping.