Mesh?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Mesh?

GenesisRage(Posted 2003) [#1]
what exactly is a mesh... havent been working with B3D that much...

i was wondering if it was the same as a static mesh... at least that is what they call it in Unreal Editor... with static meshes, you load it once... then you can place as many as you want... but all the information is remembered from the original one...

i was wondering about this, because B3D is SLOW... especially what i am doing with it... if a MESH is like a static mesh for Unreal... it would speed things up drastically

any information of help would be appreciated

Al Mackey(Posted 2003) [#2]
A mesh is a simply any 3D object that's made up of polygons. They can be unique, or copied instances. Try reading up on these commands:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/b3ddocs/command_list_3d_cat.php?show=Mesh

GenesisRage(Posted 2003) [#3]
i have read up on them, i was just curious if was anything like static meshes in Unreal, trying to speed up my applications... but with the amount of detail i have... cant find anything that works...

do you know of anything like static meshes...

Andy(Posted 2003) [#4]
>i was wondering about this, because B3D is SLOW...
>especially what i am doing with it...

Don't use 2D and 3D mixed, and cut down on surfaces.

Andy

GenesisRage(Posted 2003) [#5]
i use only 3D... but im not making a mario bros clone... i want to have it actually LOOK GOOD... i cut down on surfaces... i end up with a plain-jane box... no fun in that!

Andy(Posted 2003) [#6]
>i use only 3D... but im not making a mario bros clone... i
>want to have it actually LOOK GOOD... i cut down on
>surfaces... i end up with a plain-jane box... no fun in
>that!

Optimization is almost always possible

Andy.

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#7]
Have you looked at occlusion? Hiding entities that can't be seen by the camera because they are behind a wall, or something else that would occlude them? Also, Try using 16 bit mode, and try not to use the cleartexturefilters() command.

Just out of interest, how many poly are onscreen? And how many entities have you got?

Another thing, about using static meshes. If you use copyentity, i believe that would be similar, as it doesn't use any more memory to store the mesh. Tho you are restricted to positioning, rotating, and scaling(all use scaleentity, rotateentity and position or moveentity)

Reason being they are just exactly copy's of the orginal mesh.

GenesisRage(Posted 2003) [#8]
that copyentity sounds like what i am looking for... for example... i have a large hall with 10 detailed pillars on either side of the hall... i want them to be the same...

ill try the occulsion... because i havent done that yet... but that should help drastically

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#9]
You could also try having a different level of detail pillar for further away things. But i'm afraid if it's slowing down on your machine, most others won't have a chance :S

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#10]
There's a thread in the Advanced3d forum just now about occlusion. You can't miss it ;)

GenesisRage(Posted 2003) [#11]
>But i'm afraid if it's slowing down on your machine, most others won't have a chance :S

when i run tests i purposely have my system running hard... 3D Studio Max, Photoshop 7, Windows Media Player, Blitz 3D, at least 4 internet audio streams, and actually UNDERCLOCK my proccessor to 1.2 GHz instead of 2.1 GHz...

cuz i know my rig is slightly more powerful than the norm.

Andy(Posted 2003) [#12]
All together now:

OCCLUSION IS NOT OCCULSION

Andy

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#13]
simple spelling mishap :)

Neochrome(Posted 2003) [#14]
Blitz 3D can be Very fast! the "Static Mesh" all share the same surface, (rock surface) (plant surfaces) i just add these up in to 4 quadrant single surface mesh. works very nice. a 100 trees in dividually using many surfaces Slows Blitz Down! ALOW 76 fps, right down to 12fps, i add these (4 quandrant) method and i was able to kick out my 76fps again ;o)