Bimpmapped Reflecctions?????

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Bimpmapped Reflecctions?????

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#1]
Ive never even really heard of bumpmapping appplied to reflections, but It doesn't seem TOO hard. AS far as my understanding of cubemapping, it's just a box being projected onto each tris. take the tris normal, extend it until it reaches the box, and grab a pixel color. then do this for all the pixels of the triangle. But what if you used a dot3 or a bump map to modify the normals over the triangle? This would be nice for generally adding detail to a reflective object. Would also be very useful for better water effects, as you could have the normal map smoothly transfer from one triangle to another in order to make it less obvious that the water is simply triangles with verts going up and down.

I guess what I'm asking is that does this exist?, and might it be integrated into bmax/b3d?

Matt2222(Posted 2003) [#2]
The idea seems very useful and cool. (what is bmax, and does it even exist?)

-Matt

Mustang(Posted 2003) [#3]
Ive never even really heard of bumpmapping appplied to reflections, but It doesn't seem TOO hard.

I have, and most modern hardware supports it... it's called "enviroment bump mapping". Try our 3Dmark2001 feature test that does just this, it has bumped shiny "alien" :)

http://futuremark.com/products/3dmark2001/?screenshots

[the greenish alien, left bottom corner... looks great when it's moving!]

Matt2222(Posted 2003) [#4]
Is this software created in B3D?

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#5]
3d mark 2001? If that's what you mean, then no. It's a graphics benchmark program to see how your current set up handles.

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#6]
jeez that's pretty frickin cool. especially the matrix-esc stuff Well, the enviornmental bumpmapped alien proves it isn't an insane idea maybe in several updates? bmax?

oh yeah, and matt222, bmax is blitz max, and I think it only exists on marks computer, some of his backups, and Possibly anyone who got the rumored mini-bmax which doesn't sound very good anyway. Maybe more features, but none of marks trademark stability yet.....