There are lots of BSP formats...

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/There are lots of BSP formats...

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#1]
Well, there are BSP's for the Quake series, and for Halflife, and for Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3. They are all completly different formats. What kind of BSP are supported in blitz? I tried loading a BSP from Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3, but they wouldn't work.

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#2]
Quake BSPs are the only supported.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Blitz3D/features.php

JaviCervera(Posted 2003) [#3]
You can use BSP Factory to convert Quake1 or Half-Life BSPs into Blitz's B3D format to load them in Blitz. check my signature :)

MadJack(Posted 2003) [#4]
Quark seems to work well with BSP factory (if you're looking for an editor)..

JaviCervera(Posted 2003) [#5]
Yes, Quark works perfectly with it :)

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#6]
Only too bad that Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 BSP's are not supported in either BSP Factory (crashes) or Blitz3D (doesn't return handle) :(. I'm most known with THPS3's BSP's, and would therefore like to make a WYSIWYG script editor for it. Could one of you that makes Blitz3D see how THPS3 BSP's are different from Quake BSP's, and try to implement support for those BSP's too?

JaviCervera(Posted 2003) [#7]
Do you know what BSP engine does Tony Hawk use? Probably Quake3? Does it use the Q3Radiant map editor or what? What does this BSP format do that the others cannot?

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#8]
I don't know, but it has all it's lighting stored inside the one BSP, texture links to the textures. Here I uploaded one from THPS3 (from the level Rio), so you can check: http://www.thps3cu.com/Rio.zip . Please tell us what you get out of it :).

JaviCervera(Posted 2003) [#9]
What d u pretend to do? Use Tony Hawk's map editor, or use Tony Hawk's maps directly?

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#10]
I pretend to load a THPS3 map into my editor, and then I'll code an editor for storing positions which can be used for THPS3 modding when I mod script files where I need position coordinates. It doesn't matter if it's directly loaded, or loaded through a B3D file, only it contains the THPS3 map.

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#11]
I pretend to load a THPS3 map into my editor, and then I'll code an editor for storing positions which can be used for THPS3 modding when I mod script files where I need position coordinates.

JaviCervera(Posted 2003) [#12]
Hmm then, this looks like an in-home project. If you're using THPS3 maps, you cannot release your game. Supporting a new format involves a hard work, and I think is not worth the effort to support one format that won't be used for anything 'releaseable'. If you plan to do something serious, then license issues are important, and you should consider using something like Half-Life BSP format, because ZHLT (a Half-Life BSP compiler) is free software.

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#13]
I know, but it isn't using THPS3 maps directly. I upload the program, and the user must himself have THPS3 in order to have some maps to load, if you see :).

KovaSteel(Posted 2003) [#14]
Does blitz3d support all versions of quake or only quake 3??

Rob(Posted 2003) [#15]
Quake3.