Sprite Control Lib

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Sprite Control Lib

bstripp(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi, I was using the sprite control lib in the code archives... however, I am wondering how one would go about implementing collisions and mouse selects with that library?

I have tried to add this into the code:
; create a blank sprite image (from a quad mesh)
Function CreateImage3D(w=1,h=1,par=-1)
	If par=-1 par=spritecam
	Local sprite=CreateMesh(par)
	Local s=CreateSurface(sprite)
	AddVertex s,-1,1,0 ,0,0 : AddVertex s,1,1,0 , 1,0
	AddVertex s,-1,-1,0 ,0,1 : AddVertex s,1,-1,0 , 1,1
	AddTriangle s,0,1,2 : AddTriangle s,3,2,1

;Here is what I added to try and get picking working
        EntityPickMode sprite,1
	EntityRadius sprite,w

EntityFX sprite,1+16
	ResizeImage3D sprite,w,h
	Return sprite
End Function

You can see the rest of this cool library in the codr archives.

Rimmsy(Posted 2003) [#2]
create a button type:
type button
  field entity,name$
  field x,y,w,h
end type

function createButton(name$,x,y,image$)
  b.bnutton=new button
  b\name=name
  b\entity=loadimage3d(image)
  b\x=x : b\y=y
  b\w=imagewidth3d(b\entity)
  b\h=imageheight3d(b\entity)
end function

then treat as a normal button as you would in 2d.
mx=mousex()
my=mousey()

if mousehit(1)
  for t.button=each button
    if mx > t\x and mx < t\x+t\w
       if my > t\y and my < t\y+t\h
          ; you've selected a button
          return t\name
       endif
    endif
  next
endif

bstripp(Posted 2003) [#3]
Not a bad idea, although you loose out on the pixel perfect collision offered by the 2D collision functios. Still it's much better than what I came up with ;)

Any idea if writing the sprite to the backbuffer, then using a copy rect to make an image for the overlap thing would be too slow?

podperson(Posted 2003) [#4]
Assuming you're using alpha channeled images you can use crude rectangle-based intersections to do your first order collision detection and then double check by looking up the pixels on the alpha channel portion of the texture.

bstripp(Posted 2003) [#5]
Very good idea! I like that a lot. *** Stupid newb question warning *** What is the bit comparison I need to make to get the alpha channel on a readpixel?

WillKoh(Posted 2004) [#6]
I call upon the creator of SpriteControl to add SetBuffer3D, LockBuffer3D, Read/WritePixel3D (including alpha channel) ...

WillKoh(Posted 2004) [#7]
Well, I see that's not where the problem is (last post) but now I have another (or a request): How to modify drawimage3d to allow specifiying frameX,frameY individually. Now it has only one frame parameter...

EOF(Posted 2004) [#8]
The ImagesOverlap3D() function should help.
Use the overlap1 and overlap2 parameters to allow the sprites to overlap by x amount of pixels before a collision is triggered.

I have not updated SpriteControl for a fair while and it's unlikely to be updated in the future.

WillKoh(Posted 2004) [#9]
By last post I meant my stupid question about SetBuffer3D/Lock/writepixels since I missunderstood - one can just manipulate the texture. The collisions was some other folks questions. My question: DrawImage3D uses one 'frame' parameter but spritecontrol clearly uses frames along both axes, although I don't understand exactly *how* it does it - so that's why I want help modifying DrawImage3D to take x-frame and y-frame parameters...