3rd Person Framework ?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/3rd Person Framework ?

StOrM3(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hello,

Question.. has anyone done a 3rd person perspective game shell or framework including things like inventory, savegame, weapons etc.. ?? Just wondering, I have a kids game I started work on in Reality Factory, and when they made changes to the engine they broke the level I had completed and the game no longer worked correctly, player couldn't pick up the weapons etc.. I was thinking about porting this project to Blitz if someone has an example I can look at to learn from, mainly just the major parts, I need examples for doing savegame, cameras, weapons and smooth animation using .x files for the characters, and maybe do the levels using maplet and export to b3d I guess, whatabout doing entities in the level like different power ups and weapons and health and stuff. I know this is a big, and sounds like a newbie question, but using other languages I have been capable of developing stuff similar to this, and just need some insight into how to do different complex things in Blitz.. So if anyone has a demo or example game with these types of things in it, and don't mind sharing the source for learning purposes not to steal and reuse, but to learn how to do my own engine mainly, please either send me an email at storm3@... or im me on msn messenger or just reply to this topic.

Thanks again, I really appreciate having a huge user base like this to gain knowledge from as I learn the blitz language.

Ken

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#2]
Savegames is easy. Use an array to store the information you need, and then use this to write them:

filehandle=writefile("save.sav")
for count=0 to 10 ;10 is the number of data to save
writeint(filehandle,dataarray(count))
next
closefile filehandle

That will save all data from entry 0, to entry 10 in dataarray to save.sav. To load it, do this:

filehandle=openfile("save.sav")
for count=0 to 10 ;10 is the number of data to save
dataarray(count)=readint(filehandle)
next
closefile(filehandle)

There are some demoes about cameraes floating around on these forums, but most smooth cameraes can be done by recording/calculating offsets, and use pointentity camera,player to point it.

I don't prefer maplet, so I made my own virtual editor for B3D I use to place positions as ID's to files, and then I can with a single function easily load all orientations. Good luck with that game btw!
From ChrML :)!

StOrM3(Posted 2003) [#3]
ChrML, what about sliding me the editor you made, send it in an email to me at storm3@... and if you have the source I would love to look at it.

;') Thanks and I am glad you are making a good go of it, I need more time to work with it.

Ken

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#4]
I'll prepare it a bit first. Currently you wouldn't have a chance to understand what to do at the different screens (cuz it's currently only made for my own use). I'll slide it to ya tommorrow.

StOrM3(Posted 2003) [#5]
K, Kewl, I think maybe we could work together on some stuff, maybe even do a project together. I think two heads are better than one. I know I get tired of waiting until sun,mon,tue before I can work on my games, and even then I have to balance my time while helping to watch my babygirl.

Let me know what you think..

Ken

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#6]
Ok, sounds like a good idea. Almost finished preparing it now.

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#7]
You want me to send it now?

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#8]
I am finished with it. I just wonder if I'm supposed to send it, or wait till you get online. I've got some stuff to talk to you about. I'm online right NOW!

WolRon(Posted 2003) [#9]
No kidding? You can post without being online?

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#10]
Uhm, we were talking about MSN.