Windowed / full screen

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Windowed / full screen

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi,

written a wee test app. When I run in 1024*768*32 full screen it runs fine. When I drop to a windowed mode it runs like a sick dog - any thoughts?

Neochrome(Posted 2003) [#2]
your graphics cards

direct x generally runs better in full screen

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2003) [#3]
On a Radeon 9700? Surely not.

Shambler(Posted 2003) [#4]
Download the latest drivers, is all I can think of.

Floyd(Posted 2003) [#5]
I would say the first step is to try the castle demo.
You can find it in \Blitz 3D Samples\mak\castle\.

Does that run well in windowed mode?
It does for me on much lesser hardware.

LostCargo(Posted 2003) [#6]
are u in debug mode

Neochrome(Posted 2003) [#7]
could be a combi- of your OS and GFX-card.. OR a memory issue.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2003) [#8]
I'm not in debug mode. All other DX apps run at full tile windowed or otherwise. Also I'm running the latest ATI/mobo drivers.

The castle runs ok. It appears to be a probrom when rotating sprites.

soja(Posted 2003) [#9]
From the docs for RotateImage:
"This command is not fast enough to render rotations in real time!"

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#10]
A Sprite is not an image :) Are you using rotateimage dweezil? Sorry, only assumming he's not cause this is the 3d forum :)

soja(Posted 2003) [#11]
A Sprite is not an image

eh... what is it, then? The typical definition is a 2D rasterized image...
(it doesn't make sense to call a 3D model/image a sprite)

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#12]
"On a Radeon 9700? Surely not."

Why not on a Radeon 9700? Stuff runs significantly slower in windowed mode on the NVidia Quadro FX I use at work.

"The typical definition is a 2D rasterized image..."

In 2D graphics that's the definition. In 3D graphics a sprite is a textured quad (ie. a small plane.) That this definition doesn't make sense to you doesn't change the fact that this is the definition. You use the special sprite commands, not image commands.

soja(Posted 2003) [#13]
this definition doesn't make sense to you doesn't change the fact that this is the definition.
Thanks... I just had never heard that definition before (whereas I did know what a "textured quad" was).

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2003) [#14]
What I'm doing is...

cube1=CreateCube()
PositionEntity cube1,0,0,1

; Load texture
tex=LoadTexture("1.jpg")

; Texture cube with texture
EntityTexture cube1,tex

and then in my loop...

TurnEntity cube1,ang,ang,ang2

Osoko(Posted 2013) [#15]
Have the same problem with Full Screen / Windowed !

But my pb is : how to determine the better choice since my apps has to run on every computer.... ( Wp vista Win 7 ATI, Geforce, quadro etc... )

Have you any suggestion / Query the display drivers ?

Please help

Wings(Posted 2013) [#16]
Well sens intel i7 evy bridge comes with a nasty built in gfx that canot be turned of. blitz3d has self do this and it cant.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#17]
@Osoko use 800x600, 1024x768, or desktop resolution.

Well sens intel i7 evy bridge comes with a nasty built in gfx that canot be turned of. blitz3d has self do this and it cant.
Go on, Officer Crabtree.

Wings(Posted 2013) [#18]
Osoko use 800x600, 1024x768, or desktop resolution.
but thats verry lowres. perhaps to low for mordern Machines.

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#19]
but thats verry lowres. perhaps to low for mordern Machines.

Desktop resolution should be fine, since that is what the system is running anyway.

800x600 and 1024x768 would be perfect for a windowed screen, but would be stretched to heck on a remotely modern monitor at full-screen.

The issue is B3D being a legacy product may not work at the desktop resolution due to the limitations of the deprecated DirectX 7.

RGF(Posted 2013) [#20]
I have experiencied similar problems, and finally fixed it using tweening, here is some sample code

.main
period=1000 / 30
tweentime = millisecs()-period
while 1
repeat
elapsed = millisecs() - tweentime
until elapsed
ticks = elapsed/period
tween# = float(elapsed mod period) / float(period)
for k=1 to ticks
tweentime = tweentime+period
if k = ticks then captureworld
if keydown(1)
clearworld()
end
EndIf
updatelogic()
UpdateWorld
next
draw()
renderworld(tween#)
clear3d()
countfps()
flip
wend

If you would like to download and test my windowed 800x600 demo:

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0BwSVhKovxZL2VFZBUkJiWnJlUzg&export=download

and please report back fps. I usually get 60 fps with 25000 tris rendered with i7 + radeon 4890

by the way: the refresh rate on my monitor is 60 Hz. If you test this code on a monitor @ 75 Hz, it should reach 75 fps.

Wings(Posted 2013) [#21]
that file dosent work. i get Cold not found procedurestartadress CoCreateInstance in DLL :\$Recycle.bin\WD1NGN5E.tmp

i continue testing render twening. have you windows 8 as well as I7 ?

Wings(Posted 2013) [#22]
Checked the render tweening and same result.
at windowed mode i get turbo with nice gfx.
but at fullscreen i get old junk intel 3000 3d.
the mode change in NVIDIA dosent change any thing. not a single Blitz3d program works at fullscreen.

Funnie that BlitzMax works out of the box thoe. fullscreen and Everything.

RGF(Posted 2013) [#23]
Sorry I forgot: This version of the demo will not work under w8

Wings, I think that all of us, old blitz3d followers and adepts, we need to start thinking about upgrading or migrating... Blitz3D has been, for many years, the best product for indie software development. We pushed the limits of DX 7 beyond expectations, because Blitz3D was indeed masterfully designed and allowed us to do so... It seems that modern hardware is not going to be so tolerant with us...

Thank you!

Wings(Posted 2013) [#24]
I boughe me a new computer sens with a Nvidia 660 4gb ram.
still windows 8 and yes blitz3d works wors.

in window mode ther is now no vsynk. dosent matter if i enable or disable. (This may be driver issue)

in fullscreen vsynk works but it do it twice. so i get only 30 fps... but on other had its constant 30. no more no less.

i just give up on blitz3d rip. han hurray for Blitz max. it dosent have this issue.

Imperium(Posted 2013) [#25]
Radeon 9700 has awful performance. I had two back in the day with one being a slightly newer variant on another machine I built. I remember buying them only because of the price when $100 for a graphics card was considered cheap. But for Blitz they should be adepqauteI suppose.

Wings(Posted 2013) [#26]
I found the Reason for the fps dropp in fullscreen.

its windows 8 fault.

today i restored my old laptop to windows 7 and now it works 60fps in fulscreen again.

so blitz3d is not compatible with windows 8. however blitz max works fine.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#27]
so blitz3d is not compatible with windows 8. however blitz max works fine.

Blitz3D works for me under Win8 Pro x64. the 3d stuff is fast. only thing slow is when I HideMouse() and DrawImage() at MouseX() and MouseY() in the main loop.

_PJ_(Posted 2013) [#28]
I don't have any problems.
I recommend running the "DirectX Upgrades" package from Microsoft to ensure compatibility with earlier DX versions

Imperium(Posted 2013) [#29]
Good to know it still works in Win8. Too bad I'll never use 8 because 7 is far better in every respect for my needs.