Query from a total newbie about creating game terrains/landscapes.

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Query from a total newbie about creating game terrains/landscapes.

Daz(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi all,

Sorry if this post is in the wrong forum.

First off, I am a complete newbie to 3d graphics programming and I want to start of learning about some of the various aspects of 3d games programming - so please take this into consideration where replying ;-)

Basically, I want to create a multi-textured landscape/terrain which I can import into Blitz 3d and make a model walk around or fly around it. I would like to have the lanscape multi-textured. Is there a good tool you can recommend for creating such outdoor-style levels with multitextures?

I have tried Worldspin and I like it a lot but it seems to only allow you to single texture the whole terrain. Or maybe somebody has some code to multi-texture a Worldspin file. I guess to clarify myself, I would like to create a landscape similar to those in the games Warcraft 3 and Neverwinter Nights.

I have also seen Terragen and Leveller on the web, but from reading about them, these packages seem a bit "too professional" for simple game terrain designs. Is this so?

Any hints, tips and code that somebody could generously provide me with would really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Daz.

Neochrome(Posted 2003) [#2]
Terragen is design really for making sky boxes' well they are to the average blitz 3D programmer, these wont help make Terrains, just the sky boxes

terrains are loaded from a grayscale bitmap, (must be bitmap or something with true gray scales)

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#3]
Check out total terrain. Can't remember for the life of me tho who's sig it's in....sorry to the person who made it :) Something to do with all-seeing-eye.

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#4]
Check this link out.

http://www.btinternet.com/~mrtricks/totalterrain.htm

PaulJG(Posted 2003) [#5]
If you've got that freebie copy of c4d on the mag covers this month - there are some plugins for it that will load in a terragen landscape and make it into a proper mesh. (which you can then save as a 3ds object for use in blitz)

Daz, if ya search the forums for my posts you'll find quite a few questions I posted up, asking the guys for help with my terrains. I'm at present still figuring out different ways to do it.

Shawn Swifts got a lovely terrain system...

At the mo I'm working on a huge single layed/textured terrain. (prerendered in a 3d/art package, then placed onto the top of a blitz terrain)