Sky-dome

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Sky-dome

Farflame(Posted 2003) [#1]
I know how to make a skydome/box as a background (just a dome with the picture on the inside that sticks with the camera), but my picture always ends up looking very squashed if I look straight up/down. How do I draw a picture to avoid this effect, or does anyone have any good backgrounds for space (e.g starfields/nebula/galaxies/dust clouds etc) that they'd be willing to share?

_PJ_(Posted 2003) [#2]
I assume you are texturing a sphere / semishphere with a rectangular(square) textue. This will always squash your texture at the poles as you are spherically mapping a rectangular texture.

There was another thread (somewhere, sorry I cannot find it right now) regarding spheremaps.
Otherwise, You will just have to edit your texturesmanually to give the best results. The image towards the poles of your texure need to be stretched to simulate curvature.

Farflame(Posted 2003) [#3]
Yeah, I thought as much, but it's kinda hard to do manually. Best I can think of right now is just to leave the top and bottom totally black (it's space afterall), then I just have a blank section at the poles, which is bearable.

I'd still like a ready made one if anyone has one, will save me some hassle :)

WolRon(Posted 2003) [#4]
Why use a sphere? Use a box instead. Then you don't have to worry about spherical mapping. There's a tutorial using Terragen in the Tutorials forum.

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#5]
Seriously, sky domes are crummy because of the poles at the top and bottom. Sky boxes work very well.

IPete2(Posted 2003) [#6]
Fearflame,

If you haven't seen a skybox in action, here's one on the net I have put up to show you. It's really for those with broadband and the Virtools plugin for the browser but it looks quite cool!

Notice how there is no scrunching of textures (there's a bit of jpg compression on this example. 6 textures involved top bottom left right front back).

http://www.smartscreenuk.com/skybox/3d_SkyAround.htm

It's about 2.5 MB. Right mouse click for options once it is playing.

In answer to your question, you don't draw it, you get a package like Bryce and do it with that.

IPete2.

Pp Although this one is in Virtools, it works exactly the same in B3d.

Farflame(Posted 2003) [#7]
Hmmmm, thanks guys, I'm not sure why I never thought of that. I just saw a dome in a demo and never thought of using a cube :)