Shutter Glasses

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Shutter Glasses

AbbaRue(Posted 2003) [#1]
Has anyone tried using LCD Shutter Glasses with blitz3D?
I was planing on getting some and I wanted to know if they would work with it.

podperson(Posted 2003) [#2]
I have a set of wireless 3D glasses (they are battery powered and controlled via an IR unit that is hooked to a dongle that sits between the video card and the monitor input).

They work with any late model nVidia or Radeon video card and a CRT (LCDs aren't supported).

http://www.edimensional.com/products/edglasses.htm

I'm very impressed with them overall. They work perfectly well with all 3D hardware accelerated graphics except those with 3D rendered onto textures embedded in 3D scenes (the textures have -- incorrect -- parallax rendered into them -- needless to say the bundled game makes extensive use of rendered textures :) ) I had an earlier set of 3D glasses and they worked well but had a number of annoying pitfalls:

1) 3D objects were parallaxed but 2D overlays weren't. This caused real issues with UI overlays. The new glasses invert the parallax of 3D objects so that 2D overlays (which don't move) appear to have the largest parallax, and hence float in FRONT of rather than behind the scenery.

2) They only worked with video cards specifically designed for them (I had a bleeding edge GeForce 256 back then -- useless now, as are the glasses).

BobR3D(Posted 2003) [#3]
I too have a set of LCD shutter glasses that work with my nVidea card- I was using them to play Kingpin when I downloaded and ran one of the demos in the library here, and forgot I had the glasses enabled.

When I ran the B3D game, the screen went into "3D glasses" mode, so I tried the glasses, not believing for a second that it would really work.

And surprise, surprise, the game ran PERFECTLY with full 3D stereovision depth- except that the aiming cursor, which I'm assuming was a 2D object floated, yes- in FRONT of everything else, which made it damned hard to aim at anything with any accuracy. (Sorry, but at the moment I can't recall the name of the game, but it was a 3D "asteroids" type shooter.)

I had really thought the game would have to be written with stereoscopic views in mind, but apparently the drivers for the glasses are good enough to create the separations needed for true 3D effects from just about ANY program.

Eventually, because of the aiming problem I had to turn off the glasses and just play "normally", but it was an interesting exercise.

I do plan to check out more examples and see if they work as well as this one did.