Softskin animating?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Softskin animating?

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#1]
Possible? And in that case, how?, and any tutorial. Can softskin modelling be done in 3ds max, and then exported to a file, and be loaded into Blit3D?

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#2]
What is "softskin modelling?" Oh wait, from the title you are actually talking about animation. By "softskin" I assume you mean skeletal animation with blended vertex weights. While the b3d file format supports blended vertex weights, at the moment Blitz3D does not so no, you cannot use that kind of animation in Blitz3D.

necky(Posted 2003) [#3]
Do you have any information about soft skinning? Do you know if it is a feature we're going to see sometime in the near future?

Al Mackey(Posted 2003) [#4]
Is it possible to get the blended vertex weights from the .B3D file within the program? It might not be hard (or at least not impossible) to roll your own blended weight vertex mover.

Zmatrix(Posted 2003) [#5]
Softskin is just vertex interpolation,(morphing to frames)
Since Blitz supports bones,,,I dont see why you would want to use it.

Zmatrix

jhocking(Posted 2003) [#6]
In that case Blitz supports softskin animation via MD2 file format. Is that what "softskin" means?

Zmatrix(Posted 2003) [#7]
3drad has softskin support (I dunno if its a common term or just what it was called in the 3drad engine)
It breaks down to this..you supply the engine the Keyframe models and it will interpolate the frames making the the animation smooth.
so you only have to make say 10 models for 100 or more frames of anumation.
This is ofcourse slow, becuase you have to update every vertex every frame.
Only the original model is morphed....so you dont need to texture the keyframe models.

Zmatrix