aging the player

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/aging the player

fuzzy(Posted 2003) [#1]
hey,does anybody know this could be done:
i'd like to age the player over the course of the game,
for instance make his beard, nails grow, affect the way he walks etc.
is it possible to draw onto a 3d mesh(the player) in realtime to create these effects

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#2]
you could texture the players face with a new texture showing slight ageing every so often ie one with a bit of stubble, then more growth and then a full grown beard.

Vorderman(Posted 2003) [#3]
Model the player's head / body twice - model him in full health, then duplicate and age him by contracting his skin around the bones, adjust the face to become more skeletal, make him slightly shorter etc...

Then during the game, morph the player mesh towards the second old-age mesh as and when your game requires the player to age.

Obviously that will only work with an identical mesh just with the verts moved around. If you want bits to change radically you'll need have child objects that can be changed - for example model hair as an extra in various states of growth, then parent it to the main mesh, then replace it each time the hair changes with the new mesh.

You could always vert-mod bits like the nails, if you knew exactly which verts they were. Write a viewer program that shows the model with vert numbers superimposed, so you can check which ones they are. This will mean hard-coded vert numbers which you'll have to update if you change the mesh, but never mind.

You'll need to adjust the texture to match. Perhaps alter the colours to make the texture gradually go paler, enhance areas such as the cheeks, or just swap between a number of aged textures.

Rob(Posted 2003) [#4]
sinu, please change your name. It's kind of irritating now.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#5]
@rob yeah i know, i forgot, sorted now.

Rob(Posted 2003) [#6]
:)

LostCargo(Posted 2003) [#7]
I suggest that to do that you use a bone animtation for each step in the walk style.
1: healthy walk
2: limping walk
3: slow walk with cane
these could be imported as needed.

and apply it to the same mesh.

Note that if you do bone animations you could in theory move the bone nodes farther out on the fingers and attach them to the vertexes at the finger tips. beard (chin) could extend or deform.

Just a thought

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#8]
This is so weird, this is the second time I've been thinking about something in the last 24 hours and someones gone and posted a topic on the subject...

Perhaps I'm psychotic?

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#9]
what was the other thing perturbatio

Dock(Posted 2003) [#10]
It would be easier to use an alpha mask on the nails, adjusting it with time. However, surely hair and nails are part of personal hygiene and grooming (admittedly not for a lot of games developers, lol) - it's pretty different to the effects of 10-20 years of aging.

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#11]
what was the other thing perturbatio

Using virtual drives for storing temp resources for you games (although my idea was to use a ramdisk to do it).

podperson(Posted 2003) [#12]
EverQuest ages its players by being really really tedious.

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#13]
:)

LostCargo(Posted 2003) [#14]
lol